cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seven years almost up, or is it?

tag

Seven years almost up, or is it?

I have some derogatory marks on my credit.  They are all old, and are due to fall off my report soon.  The question is, when? 

The big one I have, which was BOA and now is supposedly owned by MCM is my main concern.  My last payment was in 12/2007 and the Date of first Deliquency is 04/2008 (this is info from CRA I don't have the paperwork).  One CRA tells me it will come off 7 years after the Date of first delinquency (which would be 04/2015?) another tells me 7 years after the account first became late (which would be 01/2015).  So which is it? 

A random person I know told me sometimes the CRA's remove them a few months early to be safe?  Has anyone ever heard of this?  I really want to buy a house as soon as possible-my dream house is up for sale and the less time it takes, the better! 

Also, I was listed as an authorized user on a credit card that the owner defaulted on and received a judgement for.  This CC is listed on my CR.  Can I send some court papers with the defendants name on them to prove I am not legally liable, and therefore have them take is off?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Seven years almost up, or is it?

@doobiedoobiedoo wrote:

I have some derogatory marks on my credit.  They are all old, and are due to fall off my report soon.  The question is, when? 

The big one I have, which was BOA and now is supposedly owned by MCM is my main concern.  My last payment was in 12/2007 and the Date of first Deliquency is 04/2008 (this is info from CRA I don't have the paperwork).  One CRA tells me it will come off 7 years after the Date of first delinquency (which would be 04/2015?) another tells me 7 years after the account first became late (which would be 01/2015).  So which is it? 

A random person I know told me sometimes the CRA's remove them a few months early to be safe?  Has anyone ever heard of this?  I really want to buy a house as soon as possible-my dream house is up for sale and the less time it takes, the better! 

Also, I was listed as an authorized user on a credit card that the owner defaulted on and received a judgement for.  This CC is listed on my CR.  Can I send some court papers with the defendants name on them to prove I am not legally liable, and therefore have them take is off?  Thanks!

Should be the same date.  The DoFD is when the debt first became late.  There's a buffer of +180 days, so the subject is moot on this anyway.  It would come off before the mandatory drop off date.  You could try a few months before it comes off to get them to do it early.  I've no experience with this myself, but some have been posting success.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 10
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Hello,

You're talking about early exclusions. Yes. Some CRA's delete up to six months early when requested. It's mostly a hit or miss and it depends on who you speak to when you call them. I say be persistent. 

Also, if you are trying to fix your credit to obtain a mortgage, I would recommend paying off your debts after they fall off because I have read here PLENTY of times that the underwriter can pull the old debts and request you pay them. But I believe that's if you request 150k and up. 

For the authorized user question, yes, you can also dispute on the grounds that you were an authorized user and not responsible for the account.

I hope this helps, good luck.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 3 of 10

Sorry if I'm being dull, but are you saying it should fall off by 12/2014 or 04/2015?  If I wrote to the CRA now, would they consider deleting them early, or would I have to wait until the end of this year?  What would I need to write?  Something like this "Since the seven year maximum is almost up could you pretty please delete this negative early?"  Are there any sample letter out there to give me a better idea?  This whole situation is so upsetting and I am really hopeful to be done with it.

Message 4 of 10

Or would I write the "goodwill letter" to the collection agency?

Message 5 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@doobiedoobiedoo wrote:

Also, I was listed as an authorized user on a credit card that the owner defaulted on and received a judgement for.  This CC is listed on my CR.  Can I send some court papers with the defendants name on them to prove I am not legally liable, and therefore have them take is off?  I would write letters to each CRA its reporting on and request its removal on grounds an AU is not responsible for payment of the account, any CRA that refuses just file a CFPB complaint on them and it will be resolved quickly.

Thanks!

@doobiedoobiedoo wrote:

Sorry if I'm being dull, but are you saying it should fall off by 12/2014 or 04/2015?  If I wrote to the CRA now, would they consider deleting them early, or would I have to wait until the end of this year?  What would I need to write?  Something like this "Since the seven year maximum is almost up could you pretty please delete this negative early?"  Are there any sample letter out there to give me a better idea?  This whole situation is so upsetting and I am really hopeful to be done with it.

You can write a letter to the CRAs requesting an item be removed early, they will either do it or deny, a good time to start writing the letter(s) is 6 months from the scheduled fall off date. This letter is pretty easy. I am requesting account xxxx be removed early its scheduled to drop xx/xx/xx thanks for youe assistance. If the first round of early requests to delete fail you could try a GW to whomever is reporting the TL and ask that it be removed.

Message 6 of 10
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@doobiedoobiedoo wrote:

Everyone here have said they called the the CRAs.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 7 of 10

Thanks everyone!

Message 8 of 10

I am more of a letter writing than a talker, so I wrote letters to each credit reporting agency.  How long can I expect to wait for a response?  Will I even get a response, or should I just check my credit report again after a certain amount of time, say a month?  Also, has anyone ever gotten an unpaid collection deleted a bit early?

Message 9 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@doobiedoobiedoo wrote:

I am more of a letter writing than a talker, so I wrote letters to each credit reporting agency.  How long can I expect to wait for a response?  Will I even get a response, or should I just check my credit report again after a certain amount of time, say a month?  Also, has anyone ever gotten an unpaid collection deleted a bit early?

They have 30 days to respond, dont send any more letters to the CRAs at this time or it will give them 15 extra days. You should get a response from them, decline to accept it online if they try to get you to do it that way you want the hard copy thru the mail. yes I have been successful as have quite a few others on this board. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.