Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shady Collection on CR

tag
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Shady Collection on CR

Pulled my credit reports from the 3 CRA and saw a collection for Diversified Consultants for $81 placed for collection Aug 2016. The OC is AT&T Wireless.
I called and spoke with a CSR from AT&T asking about this alleged account because I've had wireless service with them since 2013 and have never had a past due balance.
The CSR and I were on the phone for about 30 mins, she never could find any outstanding fees owed by me and I have her the number I had for Diversified and sge tried calling them to ask them about it but, of course, they're closed today.
I went online and disputed the collection because i honestly have no idea where this account is coming from and neither does the alleged OC (AT&T Wireless) since I have a current, longstanding account with them in good standing.
I guess my question is, should I call Diversified and ask them about this account? Should I ask for DV? Should I do both?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Re: Shady Collection on CR

Omg, so many typos!!! So sorry, using my phone...
Message 2 of 13
heavyjay
Regular Contributor

@hippychic823 wrote:
Pulled my credit reports from the 3 CRA and saw a collection for Diversified Consultants for $81 placed for collection Aug 2016. The OC is AT&T Wireless.
I called and spoke with a CSR from AT&T asking about this alleged account because I've had wireless service with them since 2013 and have never had a past due balance.
The CSR and I were on the phone for about 30 mins, she never could find any outstanding fees owed by me and I have her the number I had for Diversified and sge tried calling them to ask them about it but, of course, they're closed today.
I went online and disputed the collection because i honestly have no idea where this account is coming from and neither does the alleged OC (AT&T Wireless) since I have a current, longstanding account with them in good standing.
I guess my question is, should I call Diversified and ask them about this account? Should I ask for DV? Should I do both?

Has Diversified contacted you in any way, shape or form? No phone calls or letters?

FICO 08:Jan 18, 2017: EX 800 EQ 725 TU 799
FICO 08:Feb 10, 2017: EX 788 EQ 772 TU 791 (post New Year's app spree)
In the garden as of 1/4/2017. Will remain for all of 2017.
Message 3 of 13
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Not that I can recall. The only CA's I've gotten any correspondence from are PRA and Midland (lucky me lol) for accounts that I do owe on. This account though, i don't even understand where it's coming from and neither does the alleged OC.
Message 4 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

First send a DV request, which will impose a cease collection bar until they provide validation.

If/when you are prepared to state that you never had a debt with the asserted creditor, you can file a police report and get the collection blocked under FCRA 605B.

Message 5 of 13
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

If they can't provide validation, what is my next step? And do I do DV by phone, by mail or by emai?
Message 6 of 13
heavyjay
Regular Contributor

Always by mail, CMRRR. You want a paper trail.

Message 7 of 13
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Thank you Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 13
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

I found their address online. Who's attention, if anyone, should I address it to?
Message 9 of 13
heavyjay
Regular Contributor

They'll know who to route it to.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.