Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Card Trick/Store Cards

tag
crrredit
Established Contributor

Shopping Card Trick/Store Cards

I've had success with Overstock, Victoria's Secret and Express.

I went for Overstock and got $500. Hit the luv button and got bumped up to $700.

Didn't really want VS or Express so I didn't go through with those.

No luck so far with Pier1, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Sports Authority or a few others I keep trying.

I noticed that I didn't get any offers at all until I turned off the AdBlock extension on my browser.  Not sure if that was coincidence or not. Also was wondering if anyone has noticed what amounts are best to put in the cart, or if what you put in the cart matters. I wonder if they target certain demographics as well as credit score.

So my rebuilding includes First Progress secured, Capital One secured, Overstock. Total $1400.

Just joined a credit union and plan on getting a shared secured loan for 18 months.

I know these following stores aren't on the shopping card trick list, but does anyone have any tricks or insights for:

Kohls

Walmart

Dillards

Macy's

I've created online accounts at all of these, did the shopping cart trick anyway, left stuff in the cart. Get lots of email now in my Gmail Promotions tab but no offers yet. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Shopping Card Trick/Store Cards

@crrredit wrote:

I've had success with Overstock, Victoria's Secret and Express.

I went for Overstock and got $500. Hit the luv button and got bumped up to $700.

Didn't really want VS or Express so I didn't go through with those.

No luck so far with Pier1, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Sports Authority or a few others I keep trying.

I noticed that I didn't get any offers at all until I turned off the AdBlock extension on my browser.  Not sure if that was coincidence or not. Also was wondering if anyone has noticed what amounts are best to put in the cart, or if what you put in the cart matters. I wonder if they target certain demographics as well as credit score.

So my rebuilding includes First Progress secured, Capital One secured, Overstock. Total $1400.

Just joined a credit union and plan on getting a shared secured loan for 18 months.

I know these following stores aren't on the shopping card trick list, but does anyone have any tricks or insights for:

Kohls This store was my first card after I defaulted on quite a bit of debt, still had all kinds of COs on file 5-6 yrs old, incl a dismissed BK7 4 yrs old, store clerk said I could get 20% off if I got the card, I was stunned at the approval so this one will help you out.

Walmart This one I would recommend you have 6 months to a year of recent history before you app

Dillards

Macy's This one was my second card behind Kohls, they will help as well, had 8 months of history on the Kohls at app time.

I've created online accounts at all of these, did the shopping cart ,trick anyway, left stuff in the cart. Get lots of email now in my Gmail Promotions tab but no offers yet. 

In my experience with the cart trick it doesnt matter how much you have in the cart, if they are going to give you the pre approval it wont be based on whats in it. I would not bother with the share secured loan that reports as an instalment loan and Fico give little credence to instalment loans unless you default, there are better places to put your money to work and that is in the revolving CC arena, 30% of your Fico is derived from utilization of your CCs alone.

Message 2 of 8
crrredit
Established Contributor

Thanks for the info, gdale.  

Had a long talk with the CU loan officer about my whole credit situation and she was also not very positive about the secured loan. Said it might help a little in six months or so. Percentage is so low though, it's like handing them money and them handing it right back. Just going to use them to hold my emergency savings, put the rest to work somewhere else. Money in the bank/CU doesn't work very hard these days.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do not have an installment loan it surely helps. this will be a positive TL, I have one and even though it drops your score at firs it provides one account in good standing (if you always pay on time) and you have some savings at the end of the term. Idk about you but I need to learn to save haha.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wait I have a credit builder's loan, thats different than a secured loan. I wasn't aware that FICO does not take them into consideration.  Bummer...

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh wait I have a credit builder's loan, thats different than a secured loan. I wasn't aware that FICO does not take them into consideration.  Bummer...

Fico does take instalment loans into consideration, they just dont yield many positive points like revolving CCs can, in my case an instalment loan only yielded 8 points on the positive side and when I made the final payment my Fico actually dropped 12 points. Where you get the points is in the mix of credit category but that is only 10% of ones Fico score. There is a very narrow range of points up or down that instalments can deliver, now if you default on one that is another story then you can get major drops in score. If you have gotten that credit builder loan just to build credit I would advise you pay it off after 6 months to save money on the interest charges.

Message 6 of 8
jre
Regular Contributor

Just remember that store card history is not weighed as highly when applying for traditional credit cards. I'd be careful not to open too many in the rebuilding stage as this can hurt you short term with respect to AAoA. Also, if you desire traditional lines of credit these store cards will have a minimal impact on your ability to get credit with favorable terms and a decent credit limit.

Quicksilver x2 | Barclays | Store Cards (more than I need)

Scores: 650s
Message 7 of 8
MysticcalFX
Valued Member

Do you have any info to back this up?

@jre wrote:

Just remember that store card history is not weighed as highly when applying for traditional credit cards

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.