cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Cart Trick - Stores that use cards other than Comenity?

tag
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

Shopping Cart Trick - Stores that use cards other than Comenity?

Within the past week I tried the "Shopping Card Trick" & managed to get approved for Express & Brylane Home (two stores I'd never usually shop at but I'll probably make a small purchase on each so I can pay them off).  For some reason the card I really wanted, J Crew, wouldn't "pop up" no matter what I tried.  I tried at different times of the day with different items and even tried clearing out my cookies & cache...nothing.  Any suggestions?

Are there any other stores that offer something like pre-approved offers other than the stores that use Comenity cards?  I don't want to get too crazy but I figured it would be nice to have at least one store card that I might use on occasion.

Starting Score (02/01/2014): EQ 548 EX 548 TU 564
Current/Most Recent FICO Score (4/01/2015): EQ 686 EX 668 TU 669
Nov 1, 2015 Goal: 700 Across all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

test

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Shopping Cart Trick - Stores that use cards other than Comenity?

Comenity backed cards are the only ones that do the 'shopping cart trick'. As far as why you aren't getting one with JCrew, it is not a guarantee that the pop up will come up on all of their cards. 

Message 2 of 14
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the response.  It just seems odd that the same bank makes an offer for one store & not another...& at the same time I see people on here who can't get an Express card (which I got) but they were able to get a J Crew card (which is the one I really wanted & couldn't get!  lol).

test

Message 3 of 14
Jerzee123
Established Member

what is ?

and how do you do the shopping cart trick?

http://www.capitalone.com/media/graphic-logo/credit-cards/card-art/price-mc-90-angle.jpg
https://ne.edgecastcdn.net/80033E/www.creditkarma.com/res/content/creditcards/creditoneb/cccreditonebank01_big.png
Message 4 of 14
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

Here's an older thread that explains it: Shopping Cart Trick . Basically you place a few items in the cart, go to check out & the company will do a soft-pull (which doesnt affect your score) & it may offer you a pre-approved offer.  My credit is pretty spotty right now but I managed to get three offers last week & the cards are (supposedly) in the mail.

test

Message 5 of 14
Jerzee123
Established Member

oh ok,,

so do you put stuff in a cart and then canccel order ,

or put in your personal info like youre going to check-out and purchase and it collects your info to do the soft inquiry?

http://www.capitalone.com/media/graphic-logo/credit-cards/card-art/price-mc-90-angle.jpg
https://ne.edgecastcdn.net/80033E/www.creditkarma.com/res/content/creditcards/creditoneb/cccreditonebank01_big.png
Message 6 of 14
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

Put stuff in the cart like you're going to check out, go through the process of setting up an account (some sites require that), when you get to the payment info page, the pop-up will appear.  It will tell you you're pre-approved & give you the option to accept the offer.  Just check yes & most stes will give you an amount for your credit limit right then (although some won't).  At this point you can empty out the cart & leave the site (unless you realy wanted the items and this can be your first purchase).

It's far from a sure thing though...some sites work for some people & some don't.  Supposedly, J Crew is one of the easier ones to get & I've tried 10x & it never pops for me.   Express don't pop for everyone but that one worked for me just fine.  I don't plan on shopping often at any of them, but an initital small purchase to pay off right away will supposedly help your available credit amount & percentage of credit used (assuming you don't use it often &/or pay it off).

test

Message 7 of 14
MortgageMinded
Frequent Contributor

From what i know, some of the offers don't work with certain browsers. I got HSN on IE 9, but never saw a pop-up on any other browsers.

One thing, you will have to make a purchase (albeit small), before the card will report. OR that's at least what I was told recently.

Good luck, no luck here for Jcrew either. I did get the popups for Buckle, Express and HSN.

Starting Score: Jan 2014 EQ: 595 TU: 575 EX: 550
Current Score: Feb 2015 EQ: 615 TU: 650 EX: 643
Goal Score: Hoping to join the 700 Club this year!

Message 8 of 14
Jerzee123
Established Member

ok maybe ill try in a few months,,,

Message 9 of 14
policebox
Contributor

J.Crew makes a soft credit inquiry to Equifax to offer the preapproval. Make certain that the address you enter into your J.Crew profile exactly matches the address Equifax has on file for you. If it doesn't, then the pop-up won't happen.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.