Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Cart Trick -- Success?

tag
realnapster
Established Member

Shopping Cart Trick -- Success?

Hello Everyone,

I would like to let everyone know my shopping card trick success story. Dating back to 2010, when I was a student I applied for citi twice in a month and approved for two of them with 3000 and 1500 credit limits. I also applied for a discover  card which was only appoved for 500. Fast fprwarding to 2012, I have graduated from college with all these cards maxed out. While looking for a job and unaware of the importance of good credit, I ignored payments and within 4 months I had all these cards either charged off or closed. I also had a little collection account from ATT($175). I didn't really care for all the calls from these credit card companies or mails.

I have aquired a job with 90k and going 6 months into it, I felt the need for a credit card to rent a car or book a hotel. I applied for boa thinking I would get a card just like when I first applied. I was instantly denied(ofcourse now I know why). Then, I started looking into my credit report and my score was 545. Paid all the balances and the collection account. I only saw a 12 point increase. I came to know few things on how to rebuild my credit from here and had applied for a cap one secured card(03/13) with initial an initial credit limit of 500 and bumped it to 1000 in 2 months. I have managed to get a car loan for 32k with a cosigner and this helped the mix. 6 months later I received a $300 CLI on cap one and my score was only sitting on 600(03/14).

I took a credit advice and came to know that I should have multiple credit cards to see any movement in my credit report and was told to write a GW letter the only collection account I had. It didn't work. I disputed and it worked.Smiley Happy I saw my fico scores jump to EQ:651 and TU:678. I applied for boa secured card and DCU secured loan. Now I have 2 revolving accounts and 2 lnstallment accounts. 

As my scores were looking somewhat in shape, I wanted to give a try to the shopping card trick and it worked.

Approved VS -- 500 CL (My gf was happy about itSmiley Embarassed)

Approved Express -- 350 CL

All of a sudden I felt like I could get any credit card and applied for Barclay rewards mastercard.

Approved -- 1500 CL

one inquiry on TU (where I had only 3 and the others 7 each) and 3 new accounts, made my day.

I want to know, how my scores will behave with these new accounts. Will there be a drop and for how long?

My AAoA is only less than 2 years and with these new accounts it would still be around 1.5 years.

Please advice, if I was going the wrong path in rebuilding my credit.

Starting Score: EQ: 545
Current Score: EQ: 713, EX: 732,TU: 747
Goal Score: 800+ across the board

Total Credit Limit: 210k+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Shopping Cart Trick -- Success?

I think you are going down the right path.  You paid the old debts and you've acquired new positive accounts to help thicken your file.  Now you need to start the GW process on those paid baddies.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.