tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Short HIPAA letter??

Question for the HIPAA experts:

Why we can't write a simple letter to the CRAs saying something like:

Darling CRA:

Re: General Hospital Account 12345

The account above, reported to you by Jerky Collection Agency, is a paid medical debt. As you can see by the attached accounting and a copy of my cashed check, (or letter from JCA or OC) this account has been paid in full.

In order to report this account to you, JCA must validate this debt and prove they have a business purpose to report it. Since the debt is paid, it cannot be validated because under federal HIPAA laws, General Hospital can no longer release the information, and therefore JCA has no continuing business purpose to have or use my personal health information. JCA cannot use the name of the original creditor, my health care provider, in order to fulfill any FCRA requirements to provide that information in validation of the account.

The debt, therefore, cannot be reported by them or Darling CRA.

Please remove the collection account and anything pertaining to it from my credit report immediately.

Joe Public.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Short HIPAA letter??

bump... What do you all think?
Message 2 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

The pre-HIPAA medical dispute letter has a built-in DV letter. It is written in such a way to determine if the OC and CA still have a business relationship and in what capacity. This letter lays the ground work should you have difficulties along the way while using the HIPAA process. Proving a relationship exists between an OC and a CA when there shouldn't be one, is a major HIPAA violation. I do not recommend you use the letter you posted.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Fused. I just like to understand how these things work. Doing a form letter without understanding why it's written a certain way makes me nervous! I'm afraid they'll take it less seriously or something.
Message 4 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I find that better than 50% of the time paid med collections are deleted after writing only the pre-HIPAA medical dispute letter...
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:
I find that better than 50% of the time paid med collections are deleted after writing only the pre-HIPAA medical dispute letter...

Oh Fused, I sure hope it works for us!! I see people whose scores jump 50 points or more in two weeks, and we aren't seeing anything like that. My Experian PLUS score jumped a bunch, but first, it seems to have no correlation to FICO scores, and second I'm waiting for responses to the other things before I pull my FICOs again.
Message 6 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

GL! Hopefully, they get deleted, if not, post the results of your disputes before continuing with the HIPAA process.
Message 7 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Make sure you opt-out and update your persoanl info before sending the pre-HIPAA med dispute letter.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I missed those before they were sent. I opted out of the credit reports on line, and have to send out these other ones. Do I just take every creditor listed on the CRs and send them all a letter? And do they have to be CMRRR?
Message 9 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

likewise wrote:
Yes I missed those before they were sent. I opted out of the credit reports on line, and have to send out these other ones. Do I just take every creditor listed on the CRs and send them all a letter? Yes!  And do they have to be CMRRR? No!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.