Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short Sale

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Short Sale

I had a short sale on my home, which left 2 60 day past due payments on my credit report (I had to stop paying before they finance company would even look at the short sale offer).  It will be 3 years in July, and I am told these late payments will drop off my credit reports and my credit score will go up.

I am hoping to buy a home later this year, and wonder if anyone can tell me if this is true.  I will have had no late payments for 3 years, I will have paid down most of my debt, and have a stable fixed income. 

If anyone has had any experience with this, please tell me how many points your credit score was increased by the removal of late payments from your report.  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Re: Short Sale

Start the process with NACA now and you should be ready to go in July.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Try this email:
http://raincityguide.com/2008/08/04/why-do-banks-take-so-long-to-approve-a-short-sale/
And this one:
http://www.redfin.com/definition/short-sale
Maybe these can give you some Information, my agent just sent them to me, you may have to search the website fur what you are looking for.
Also:
Go to the mortgage forums, I'm sure someone can answer more questions there.
T/c
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 3 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a short sale on my home, which left 2 60 day past due payments on my credit report (I had to stop paying before they finance company would even look at the short sale offer).  It will be 3 years in July, and I am told these late payments will drop off my credit reports and my credit score will go up.

I am hoping to buy a home later this year, and wonder if anyone can tell me if this is true.  I will have had no late payments for 3 years, I will have paid down most of my debt, and have a stable fixed income. 

If anyone has had any experience with this, please tell me how many points your credit score was increased by the removal of late payments from your report.  

To the best of my knowledge any late payment, regardless of what type of cirmcumstance or type of account, will fall off after 7 years. 

Message 4 of 9
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Page down to "a Fannie may spokesman" for info on time period to buy again .

Union-Tribune
Originally published September 9, 2012 at 12:01a.m., updated September 7, 2012 at 12:37p.m.
With generous new guidelines from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac likely to stimulate large numbers of short sales by underwater homeowners, what impacts can these sellers expect to see on their credit scores?

It’s a crucial question because short sales typically cause FICO scores to plummet, sometimes by 150 points or more. This, in turn, complicates sellers’ credit capabilities for years and makes additional borrowings — whether for auto loans, credit cards or new mortgages — tougher and more expensive.

The issue arises now because Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac — the dominant sources of home loan funds — recently outlined plans to approve short sales for underwater borrowers who are current on their loan payments, provided they face an imminent “hardship.” Though the numbers of participants in the plan won’t be known for months, the two companies combined have approximately 3.7 million underwater mortgages in their portfolios on which borrowers are making their payments on time, according to federal regulators.

Short sales traditionally have been associated with extended periods of delinquency by borrowers. The technique itself — where the lender agrees to accept less than what’s owed and the property is sold — usually has been employed as an alternative to foreclosure.

As a result, FICO credit scores — the major risk predictive tool used in the mortgage industry — have severely penalized borrowers who opt for short sales. VantageScore, the FICO rival created by the three national credit bureaus, also hits short sellers with triple-digit point losses.

In a recent blog post, Frederic Huynh, FICO’s senior scientist, said statistical reviews of short sellers by the company concluded that they “represent a high degree of risk” to lenders. More than 55 percent of short sellers in a sample of borrowers from 2007 to 2009 went on to later default on other credit accounts after completing the sale transaction. This ranks them in “the same heavyweight (risk) class” as people who’ve been foreclosed upon, filed for bankruptcy, had a tax lien or collection account.

But hold on. Won’t underwater homeowners who qualify for the upcoming short sale program be fundamentally different? Won’t they have solid mortgage payment histories despite being underwater? Why should they have to take the same heavy hits to their scores earned by people who didn’t pay their mortgage for months on end?

Good questions, but it appears that these sellers won’t get the break they deserve. The current scoring system, credit experts say, isn’t set up to recognize — or properly report — short sales by on-time mortgage customers to the national credit bureaus. And the credit score companies aren’t currently planning to make any changes to the penalties their models assign to people who participate in short sales.

Anthony Sprauve, a spokesman for Fair Isaac Corp., developer of the FICO score, says that “in general,” when a “loan (is) paid off for less than the full balance,” it is “classified as a severe negative item” by the FICO scoring model. And “there are currently no plans to change,” Sprauve added.

Sarah Davies, senior vice president for research and analytics for VantageScore Solutions, said her company won’t likely modify its scoring algorithms either, despite the fact that the seller was not delinquent and came to a mutually satisfactory resolution with the lender.

Terry Clemans, executive director of the National Credit Reporting Association, an industry trade group, said this is all inherently “unfair” for borrowers who’ve continued to make timely payments on their loans. Crushing them with deep credit-score penalties “doesn’t reflect the fact that these people are actually excellent credit risks. They simply encountered an extraordinary situation” — namely, the national home value bust — which put them underwater.

A Fannie Mae spokesman, Andrew Wilson, said his company has no control over how short sales — whether of people who paid on time or those who didn’t — are scored. However, when borrowers do a short sale rather than force the lender to foreclose, Fannie rewards them: They are potentially eligible for a new mortgage again within two years after a short sale. People who go to foreclosure, by contrast, may not be able to get a new Fannie loan for up to seven years.

Bottom line: At the moment, if you’re underwater and plan to use the new Fannie-Freddie short sale program this year, don’t bank on any special favors when it comes to your credit score. It looks like you’re going to have to take a big hit, despite all your on-time payments.

Kenneth Harney is a columnist for The Washington Post Writers Group. Send email to kenharney@earthlink.net
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

why would I go to the NACA?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The payments may show on my report for 7 years, but I have been told that I will be eligible for a mortgage when the 3 years is up.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if their credit score increased substantially after the 3 year period.

Message 7 of 9
chasmith
Valued Contributor

NACA doesn't consider credit scores.

They offer a 30 yr fixed mortgage with no money down, no closing costs and no PMI.

Because they are concerned with your ability to repay and not your credit score it takes time and a lot of paperwork to qualify, but in my case it was very much worth it.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That looks like a good program, but after bringing up the details, I find that there is a hidden cost in the NACA loan program.  They require a "membership" at a cost of $50 per month, for 5-10 years that is paid with your mortgage. 

I am currently looking at the USDA backed loan program, which also has no down payment and no PMI.  I may check the NACA out however, and see what will work best. 

Thanks,

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.