Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short Term versus Long Term

tag
Crisis
Established Contributor

Short Term versus Long Term

Hi Everyone,

I really enjoy lurking and reading, and I have been for quite some time.  I'd really appreciate some advice. 

My current credit history is exclusively from credit cards.  I have never had a student loan, car loan or mortgage.  I've had 2 cards for 6 years (Chase and Cap1), a First Premier for 2 years, and was just approved for a Barclay card with a $2k limit.  Exp was 717 before the HP from Barclay.  I have higher than usual util atm due to medical bills.

I intend to do CLIs over the next weeks on all cards once I've got the util down to a manageable level again.

I have recently started back to college (after a lengthy hiatus).  This semester, I used an installment plan to pay my tuition in full.  As the school I'm currently attending is a community college, my tuition is low at the present and this is possible.  Should I take student loans anyway for the sake of diversifying my credit score? 

I intend to purchase my first car in a few months, but I'd also like to do a little gardening.  What are your thoughts?  How significant would multiple pulls be?  My long term goal is to buy a house in about 3 years.

Thank you for sharing your time and information!

In the garden until debt is paid off and scores are up!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Short Term versus Long Term

@Crisis wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I really enjoy lurking and reading, and I have been for quite some time.  I'd really appreciate some advice. 

My current credit history is exclusively from credit cards.  I have never had a student loan, car loan or mortgage.  I've had 2 cards for 6 years (Chase and Cap1), a First Premier for 2 years, and was just approved for a Barclay card with a $2k limit.  Exp was 717 before the HP from Barclay.  I have higher than usual util atm due to medical bills.

I intend to do CLIs over the next weeks on all cards once I've got the util down to a manageable level again.

I have recently started back to college (after a lengthy hiatus).  This semester, I used an installment plan to pay my tuition in full.  As the school I'm currently attending is a community college, my tuition is low at the present and this is possible.  Should I take student loans anyway for the sake of diversifying my credit score? They help some in the mix of credit category as an install loan but your biggest bang is from revolvers in the utilization category (30% of score) the other biggie is payment history (35%) so after a few SLs I dont think taking more out just for CR help would be advisable why pay interest of you dont have to...

I intend to purchase my first car in a few months, but I'd also like to do a little gardening.  What are your thoughts?  As long as you can afford it  along with all your other payments there should be no problem How significant would multiple pulls be?  All the auto related pulls within a 2 week period would score as 1 by FICO, you may be denied for too many inquiries in the future but that can be overcome on recon as you would just let them know they were all for your auto loan. My long term goal is to buy a house in about 3 years.

Thank you for sharing your time and information!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.