Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Agree to this Settlement?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Agree to this Settlement?

First off, thank you to everyone that posts here. I have learned a great deal browsing this forum over the past few months. Pretty much every question I've had has been answered by someone else. But now I have a trickier one...

I am working with BofA on a short sale of my town home. In the settlement offer they sent, there is a verbiage to the effect that they will report to the credit bureaus that the account was "satisfied for less than the amount owed."  I have a great short sale offer to purchase (which they obviously approved) in comparison to recent comps so I think I can counter the bank on this one point. Any suggestions? Could I ask the bank to change the verbiage to "Settled"?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I Agree to this Settlement?

Any time a debt has been legally settled, regardless of whether the creditor accepted the full amount of the debt or a lesser amount, the debt is settled.

The current status reflected upon settlement of a debt is the same.  It is paid.  Current status does not reflect any terms of settlement.  So you current status will read paid either way.  Paid is settled, if the creditor accepts that the debt is discharged. They have no option, so it is not something you need to request.

\When a debt is settled, if payment was for less than the full amount, that fact is separately recorded in your credit file by way of a "Special Comment code" reported by the creditor.  If you want your CR free of reference to a settlement for less, you need to get that special comment deleted.  The status of paid or "settled" is not the issue.

Message 2 of 9
pmbrian
Contributor

You are going to be hard pressed to not have this affect your credit - you did a shortsale and that is just to the left of foreclosure, so it will definately ding your credit and will be coded in such a way that it is not the comment that matters, but the status of the account.

BoA will not budge on things in my experience.

03/25/20 - FICO 8 EQ - 709 TU - 717 EX - 718

09/02/19 - FICO 8 EQ - 702 TU - 699 EX - 714
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok. thanks for the response.

i will give my counter-offer some thought and report back.

Message 4 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

First off, thank you to everyone that posts here. I have learned a great deal browsing this forum over the past few months. Pretty much every question I've had has been answered by someone else. But now I have a trickier one...

I am working with BofA on a short sale of my town home. In the settlement offer they sent, there is a verbiage to the effect that they will report to the credit bureaus that the account was "satisfied for less than the amount owed."  I have a great short sale offer to purchase (which they obviously approved) in comparison to recent comps so I think I can counter the bank on this one point. Any suggestions? Could I ask the bank to change the verbiage to "Settled"?

Thanks in advance.

Any notation of "settled" on your reports is scored the same as a charge off so try and avoid this if all possible.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

what would be an alternative to settled, yet favorable to me?

Message 6 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

what would be an alternative to settled, yet favorable to me?

I confess I know very little about short sales and their effect on credit. Rather than give a possible wrong answer I will let others comment.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Settled implies that it was for less than full balance.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Request a PFD. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.