cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Close this account or Keep it Open?

tag
Oyiwaa
Regular Contributor

Should I Close this account or Keep it Open?

Hello Folks - the Comenity Bank is reporting the TL below for a Blair Card, that went delinquent, but totally paid off. Even though it is paid off, the OC still kept it open and there has been no activity on the account since 2010. I have disputed and sent GW letters to remove the derogs but has not been successful. I don't want to apply for a credit increase now (and reopen the account), so is there any benefit to closing the account? Please find below the TLs as reported to EX and TU:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Cheers, Oyiwaa

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Should I Close this account or Keep it Open?

@Oyiwaa wrote:

Hello Folks - the Comenity Bank is reporting the TL below for a Blair Card, that went delinquent, but totally paid off. Even though it is paid off, the OC still kept it open and there has been no activity on the account since 2010. I have disputed and sent GW letters to remove the derogs but has not been successful. I don't want to apply for a credit increase now (and reopen the account), so is there any benefit to closing the account? Please find below the TLs as reported to EX and TU:

Cheers, Oyiwaa

It is so small I can't read anytthing on it.

When was it opened?  If the only reason it is adverse is the lates, they will come off 7 years from each occurence.  When the last one comes off it will become a positive account and stay for up to 10 years from the date closed.

Why would you dispute it?

Message 2 of 7
Oyiwaa
Regular Contributor

thanks very much -- sorry the image is small - you can actually (double)-click on it to enlarge it.  At any rate, it was opened in 2008, had a couple of 60, 90 & 120 day lates, forcing the OC to reduce the credit limit until the balance was paid off. Given that most of the serious lates are about 2 yrs old now, will they still have a negative impact on my scores?

cheers, Oyiwaa

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Unfortunately, yes.  A 120+ is considered a major derogatory.  But since the account is not CO'd or in collections it will remain adversely until the lates are gone.

If it isn't your oldest and you are not worried about AAoA, I would rather have a clean report than a longer history. 

It would be 2017 before the last late came off.

Message 4 of 7
Oyiwaa
Regular Contributor

Yes, I would rather have a clean history -  though my AAoA is about 5 yrs.  In order to remove it, should I just keep sending in GWs or dispute (and hope they don't verify or respond)?

Thanks - Oyiwaa

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It's an accurate account so I wouldn't dispute.  Just keep sending in GW letters.

Message 6 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

It's an accurate account so I wouldn't dispute.  Just keep sending in GW letters.

+1

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.