Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I DV old CA?

tag
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Should I DV old CA?

Hello every one,

I've been reading the Steps I Should Take post and I'm still uncertain about my next move in respect to one issue. Back in 2004, I defaulted on a utility company in the amount of $2,200. They sold it to a CA (Harris & Harris) and I never paid any of it. The scheduled fall-off date is July of 2012. After a while Harris & Harris sold it to a new CA (IC Systems) who I've been making payments to. Currently my debt is down to $475, so I've paid off the majority of it.

On two out of my three credit reports, I have the OC, Harris & Harris, and IC Systems all reporting. As far as H&H is concerned, should I DV them? My plan is to finish paying IC Systems and then GW the crap out of them and the OC. But I was hoping sending a DV to H&H might scare them into deleting it?

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I DV old CA?

I am assuming that the debt collector provided you the required dunning notice back when. Their dunning notice sets a 30-day period within which you can make a request that they verify the accuracy of the debt with the OC.  Even if you send a timely DV letter, response on their part, unless you live in Texas, is not compulsory.  Their "penalty' for failure to respond to a timely DV is that they must cease active collection of the debt until such time as they choose to provide the requested debt verification.  While you can still DV at any time, if it is untimely, and yours would appear to be so, it requires nothing of them. 

I doubt that a DV sent years after their initial collection notice would invoke much fear in them.  It is more likely to just find the bottom of their nearest circular file.....

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.