Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I DV?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I DV?

I have recieved a letter from two different Law offices in the last month stating that they are collecting $3,150 debt I owe. However, there is nothing on my credit reports that reflect anything even close to that. I have settled every account that shows up on my report. Should I send a DV letter and risk waking a sleeping giant or let it go and ignore the letters?
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I DV?

It within CRTP it could be placed back on your report. If within SOL, you could be sued.

If you can PIF, then I would DV.

If you are confident this is not yours, then DV.

If you are confident that if it was yours, that it would be beyond SOL, then DV.

DV'ing under any other circumstances would be at your own risk.

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did the letters show who the original creditor was or when the debt was from?

You won't be waking a sleeping giant if they are actively trying to collect.

Do you have any clue what it might be?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It showed neither the OC or when it was from and I do not have any recollection at all in regards to what it could be. My only fear is that they do find it is valid from something in my past I forgot about ( I went through some really rough times) and it ends up getting stamped back on my credit report.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It within CRTP it could be placed back on your report. If within SOL, you could be sued.

If you can PIF, then I would DV.

If you are confident this is not yours, then DV.

If you are confident that if it was yours, that it would be beyond SOL, then DV.

DV'ing under any other circumstances would be at your own risk.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks...sounds like I should DV and cross my fingers
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where you lose me is I know I owe the debt. I have paid 10k of with about 4k outstanding. The arrangements were made in 2006 and I've paid 39 of 60 payments. What would Debt verifying get me? I want to minimize the impact on my credit scores and get rid of the debt, but it seems rather confrontation to say prove I owe it. What am I missing?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.