cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I , GW\? PFD? 23 year old trying to make things right !

tag
Alexj931
New Contributor

Should I , GW\? PFD? 23 year old trying to make things right !

Hey My name is Alex and Im new to the actual fourms website , i have printed out the common abbrieviations and read FICO 101 and studied it to the core. Im currently 23 years old and unfortun started on the wrong foot, anyhiw mny current score is about 531. I have many accounts on collections(about 7) but 99.9 of these accounts are amounts in which i can pay in full on one shot, but I want them to be removed from my sccore entirley. I currently have a auto loan in which i was only late one time . and have a student loan in which i was late 2 but am current on.The account that are in collections are all credit card accounts , I also have a Motorcycle loan taken out with HSBC that I have a payment plan set up with the collections agency if you need any more information please let me know. I just want to know should i set up GW /PFDletters for these accounts to be taken care off,  I now make a lot more money at my job and just got promoted so I want to make things right.Thanks ALEX

Current Score: 587/568/576
Goal Score in 3 months= 620
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I , GW\? PFD? 23 year old trying to make things right !

As a first step, I suggest, both for your own benefit in plotting a course of action and for getting advice on how to proceed, that you put together a simple list showing the pertinent credit reporting dates.

For each account that has either been charged-off or referred for collection, you need the date of first delinquency on the OC account.

That DOFD controls how long it may remain in your CR.  Look back and find the most recent chain of account delinquencies that preceded either a charge-off or collection, then find the date of first delinquency in that chain.  DOFD resets each time you bring a delinquent account back into good-standing.

That DOFD will tell you, even if you have no success in getting earlier CR deletion, when it will die of its own old-age, regardless of whether paid or unpaid.  In most instances, depending upon your state SOL statute, it will also set the date of running of your statute of limitations, giving you an idea of whether the creditor can pursue legal action for its recovery.

Message 2 of 8
Alexj931
New Contributor

Thank you very much !!!the good thing is the total amount of credit card owed is only 3000, which is pretty low from what everybody says. I appreciate it. would you like me add more details cards, dofd ,balances, ect so you have a better idea?

Message 3 of 8
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Yeah! Post em up, everyone has been so helpful, i'm sure you can get some good advice.  I've pulled my score up from slightly lower than yours to mostly in the 600's since earlier this year.  It can be done.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 4 of 8
Alexj931
New Contributor

Okat on tu my score is 531. I have 11 accounts that are 60days late or worse. About 8 collections: CHASE CREDIT CARD DEBT OWED $1,291 opened on 02/2007 ( which I want to pay the full amount iof they take it off. BANK OF AMERICA Credit card which i opened in 4/2007 680.00 settled in less than full amount by a collections agency by calvary port but its still showing up as bad for some reason. Chase Credit Card Services edbt owed: $928 .00which has been charged off to another lender/collections which i could pay in fullif they take it off .HSBC best buy 850.00 that has been charged off to another lebder/collections which i could also pay off if taken off. My motorcycle which i stopped paying for almost a year but now i have a payment plan with the collections that owns it to pay it in full. And my Student loan which i was late for a bout 2 months but im currenlyu Paying them right now. My question is if i could pay all that i owe (mostly credit cards that haven been given to collections) Does the original lenders come off my record too or is it just the collections part of it. I want to get my score up I know that its gonna be a battle but Im tired sinking myself deeper.

Message 5 of 8
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Technically speaking, anything negative on your credit report will continue to report for 7 years after the DOFD.  Paid, unpaid, or settled just distinguish between who you still owe money and who you don't.  There won't be a change to your score.  What you should probably try to do, and this is open for interpretation by anyone else who knows better, is try to have the CC accounts removed completely if you have that many lates on them.  I don't really know if this is possible beyond a GW with a CO, but maybe someone can explain further?

The collections accounts are hurting you badly, the lates are also hurting you.  In a perfect world, you could PFD all the debts and have the CC TL removed completely and just start fresh. 

Anyone have ideas?

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 6 of 8
Alexj931
New Contributor

Thanks very much . I have the money to pay it off (now not when i opened them) but I just dont know how or where to start?

Message 7 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, if the debt is bad, and it reports a balance on your CR, then mail them a PFD letter. If they agree to your PFD, they will mail you a response back agreeing to the PFD. Pay it and then they'll delete.

If after a few tries they still won't accept your PFD letter, then I'd just pay it off and mail GWs at a later date.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.