Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Get A Secured Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Get A Secured Card?

I am working on rebuilding my credit and wondering if a secured card would be helpful for me right now.  I currently have a Capital One credit rebuilding, unsecured card with a $500 limit and 7 month perfect history.  I am also listed as an AU on my wife's card (same type, same limit) with a 15 month perfect payment history.

I have read some places that having 2-3 credit cards is ideal.  I am thinking that it is best for me to wait a year or so until my credit is a little better and get another unsecured card, but I wanted to see if anyone thought I should instead get a secured card, to have at least 2 of my own credit cards.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I Get A Secured Card?

I would join a credit union and get their card. Not only are their rates usually better, but they also tend to be a little more lenient wish approvals.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will probably be joining PSECU in the coming months with a savings account.  My wife has to join first (she is a student at a University in PA they cover) and then I can join as her spouse.  I'm not sure if they would approve me though.  My TU score is decent, but my others both suck.  Think I should just join the CU now with a savings account and wait as my score gets a little better for their CC?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would join a credit union and get their card. Not only are their rates usually better, but they also tend to be a little more lenient wish approvals.

This is our plan, we are going to join a local CU and talk to someone about getting a CC (even with a low balance) to help us rebuild our credit.  I currently have an unsecured card with a $300 limit and we are waiting to hear back about a CC app for DH.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Join up and speak to a rep and get their opinion. Maybe you will qualify for an unsecured card, if not, they will eventually graduate you to one after doing well with a secured card for a while.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.