cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Pay Collection that is 3 years old?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Pay Collection that is 3 years old?

I have a collection on all 3 of my credit reports from Trident Asset Management from 2014.

They agreed to delete it if I paid the settlement amount for about $420.

Will this help my credit score or hurt it? 

Just wondering if I should pay or not, because I'm getting a lot of different answers....

Thanks guys!

12 REPLIES 12
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I Pay Collection that is 3 years old?

Probably. If it's your only collection, it's probably worth ~40 points. If you have others still, it could still be worth ~10 points.
2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 2 of 13
JGGM
Frequent Contributor

If you have the ability to pay it, and the debt is yours, then pay it. It will help your score, it will help in manual underwriting circumstances if it's not your only collection. If it is your only collection, then having it removed should boost your score a considerable amount. 

Current Score 7-1-21: TU: 812 EX: 805 EQ: 839
Goal Score:ACHIEVED - 800 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - PenFed Promise - AmEx Delta Platinum - DISCO - NFCU Cash Rewards - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it is to your advantage to pay it, if they will delete it.

Message 4 of 13
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

I got a 36 point bump when I paid off and got my last collection deleted. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 5 of 13
MrTom
Frequent Contributor

I would say pay it after doing a little homework, and get the agreement in writing before you pay it.

What is the DOFD of this account?  When I was rebuilding my credit, this was a date I used to prioritize what I would attack first.  Remember collection accounts don't re-age. 

Was there an orgional creditor listed on the report?  Will the PFD be for both the OC and CA? 

But anytime you can get  a ding off your credit earlier then it sould, take advantage of it.  My last deleted collection account on my credit gave me a huhe boost.

Starting Score: May 23, 2016 EQ 537 TU 518 EX 548
Recent Scores: EQ 839 TU 824 EX 821
Goal Score: 840
Current Vantage 3.0: 808
Mortgage Scores August 18 2017: EQ5 684 TU4 692 EX2 690
Message 6 of 13
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

@MrTom wrote:

I would say pay it after doing a little homework, and get the agreement in writing before you pay it.

What is the DOFD of this account?  When I was rebuilding my credit, this was a date I used to prioritize what I would attack first.  Remember collection accounts don't re-age. 

Was there an orgional creditor listed on the report?  Will the PFD be for both the OC and CA? 

But anytime you can get  a ding off your credit earlier then it sould, take advantage of it.  My last deleted collection account on my credit gave me a huhe boost.

With respect to "Collection accounts don't re-age", what is meant by that? I have an old medical collections that should drop off within a year (a small co-pay that shouldn't be there but is). I've been afraid to poke the bear, and I've been concerned that paying it would re-set the clock, ensuring its stay for several MORE years if the PFD doesn't work.

Message 7 of 13
MrTom
Frequent Contributor

I may of worded it wrong.  A collection account is a continuation of debt.  Meaning the DOFD will be when the orgional account first went deliquent.

Starting Score: May 23, 2016 EQ 537 TU 518 EX 548
Recent Scores: EQ 839 TU 824 EX 821
Goal Score: 840
Current Vantage 3.0: 808
Mortgage Scores August 18 2017: EQ5 684 TU4 692 EX2 690
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's a legitimate pfd and you have the funds yes it's worth it and pay it asap, Dv

Message 9 of 13
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If it's a legitimate pfd and you have the funds yes it's worth it and pay it asap, Dv

I don't know - I haven't tried to ask for one, since it's so close to just falling off. I thought maybe I would let it fall off and then pay it?

I'm fortunate in that it's a $50 copay. It should never have been charged (an immediate followup for the same issue), but it evidently was and I've moved a couple of times since then and missed dunning/warning. It's easily worth $50 to get it off of my report. What I fear is that if I pay it, it might reset some clock to 2017, and re-start the ageing from there.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.