Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Pay OC Via Automated System?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Pay OC Via Automated System?

I sent a PFD to a CA that has a utility bill from 12/2013. They didn't respond. I called and they said there is no way they can delete it from my CR but could only update to show paid. That made me mad. So I called the utility company but it's after hours. Just for the heck of it, I went through the recording to see if I can pay over the automated phone system. I put in my account number and it gave my balance and would allow me to pay over the phone.

Now, if I do this, what could happen? Will the OC automatically pull the account back from the CA? Will I have to dispute the CA with the CRAs with proof I paid the OC? Will this be more of a headache? Should I do it? I assumed the account was sold but it doesn't seem that way if the OC is still showing a payable balance online and over the phone.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I Pay OC Via Automated System?

@Anonymous wrote:
I sent a PFD to a CA that has a utility bill from 12/2013. They didn't respond. I called and they said there is no way they can delete it from my CR but could only update to show paid. That made me mad. So I called the utility company but it's after hours. Just for the heck of it, I went through the recording to see if I can pay over the automated phone system. I put in my account number and it gave my balance and would allow me to pay over the phone.

Now, if I do this, what could happen? Will the OC automatically pull the account back from the CA? Will I have to dispute the CA with the CRAs with proof I paid the OC? Will this be more of a headache? Should I do it? I assumed the account was sold but it doesn't seem that way if the OC is still showing a payable balance online and over the phone.

I would pay it with money order of personal check (if they accept it), that way you have proof of payment in case you need to dispute or GW later on

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I Pay OC Via Automated System?

When a creditor hires a debt collector, there is often a clause in their agreement stipulating that while the assignment remains in effect, all payments must be made via the debt collector.

There could be issues upon review of their automated payments that might give rise to their non-acceptance.

I would not advise simply paying without it being known that the account is now in collections.

Additionally, if you decide to attempt to pay thru the OC, you may wish to at least attempt to get a PFD of any derogs the OC may have reported.

In that event, you would first send a PFD offer, and not simply pay.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.