Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Respond?

tag
learned_my_lesson
New Contributor

Should I Respond?

I sent a CRA a letter requesting they provide info from a debt verification. I also sent the $10.50 charge. I received a call from AT&T today and yesterday from someone asking me to call them so they can get information from ME to find the account. Ok, if they verified the account would they need my help? I haven't called yet so was wondering if I should.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I Respond?

I wouldnt give them any info. If they cant verify they must remove it.
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It sounds like you sent a letter for disclosure of information in your credit file under FCRA 609(a)(1) if you paid the $10.50 fee under FCRA 612(f).

If that is the case, it is NOT a DV request under FDCPA 809(b) or a dispute under FCRA 611(a),.  It is a disclosure request for what is in your credit file.  That is handled totally by the CRA.  Disputes under FCRA 611(a) never require payment of the disclosure fee set forth in FCRA 612(f).  This looks like a lack of meeting of the minds, in the best case, or total CRA incompetency, in the worst case.

If a request for disclosure, it is totally inappropriate for anyone to then come back and ask you to verify anything.

Your letter to the CRA should not even have involved the OC in any manner. 

I think what happened here is that the CRA treated your request as a dispute under FCRA 611(a), and thus forwarded it to the OC.

What did your original letter to the CRA say?  I hope you did not mention FCRA 611(a)?

Either way, do NOT call them.  The CRA either provides the requested information, if a request under FCRA 609(a)(1), or the creditor verifies on their own if they treated it as a dispute under FCRA 611(a).  That is their duty, NOT yours. 

Message Edited by RobertEG on 01-21-2010 08:28 PM
Message Edited by RobertEG on 01-21-2010 08:30 PM
Message 3 of 4
learned_my_lesson
New Contributor

Thank you for your response. It was indeed FCRA 609(a)(1) the letter cited. I used a letter I found on this site. After careful thought, I choose not to call AT&T back.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.