Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I activate the CreditOne Card

tag
mkkbell
Established Member

Should I activate the CreditOne Card

Hello all!

Quick question, my BK7 was discharged on 6/20/13. I have pulled reports and verified all is reporting correctly.

I applied and received a CAPONE Secured card with $49 deposit and $200 CL and bumped it to 300 with a deposit.

Also approved for a CreditONE 300 CL and Cap One Quicksilver 500 CL.

Should I activate this CreditOne card or cancel it (can i even cancel it)?

Thanks

_M

Pre BK EQ Starting Score 1/15/13: 495
6/8/15 Current FICO Scores: EX=687, EQ=681, TU=660 - 2 Years post discharge
Goal Score: 700 BK7 Discharged 6/20/13
In my wallet , CapOne QuickSilverOne $2500, Eastern Bank Visa $500, Barclay Apple Rewards $2000, Cap One QuickSilver $1000, Prosper Personal Loan $7600

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I activate the CreditOne Card

@mkkbell wrote:

Hello all!

Quick question, my BK7 was discharged on 6/20/13. I have pulled reports and verified all is reporting correctly.

I applied and received a CAPONE Secured card with $49 deposit and $200 CL and bumped it to 300 with a deposit.

Also approved for a CreditONE 300 CL and Cap One Quicksilver 500 CL.

Should I activate this CreditOne card or cancel it (can i even cancel it)?

Thanks

_M

Credit One is a rebuilder / no credit kind of card.. I had one. Had no issues with at all -- steep annual fee, like 79 bucks.

I closed it when I didn't need it. Got some limit increases as I went (had to pay 20 bucks lol)

They are a nickel and dimer, but they reports faithfully every month and they have a visa/MC logo

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 16
mkkbell
Established Member

So I guess if i can put up with the fees its not a bad thing to have?

-Mark

In my wallet , CapOne QuickSilverOne $2500, Eastern Bank Visa $500, Barclay Apple Rewards $2000, Cap One QuickSilver $1000, Prosper Personal Loan $7600

Message 3 of 16
KRAMathKY
New Contributor

I received a pre-approval letter from CreditOne in the mail today.  I read the annual fee and interest information and immediately shredded the notice.  The fees are outrageous. How long have you had the CapOne cards?  

My advice would be to let the CapOne cards age a little.  There are many more folks on here that have greater knowledge about rebuilding credit than I do so they may also chime in.  Rebuilding your credit takes time and if your CreditOne fees were as steep as mine, then you are better off avoiding that one.  

Message 4 of 16
mkkbell
Established Member

I had a capital one card for many years with no lates and closed it prior to my divorce a few years ago.

I got the secured cap one in may before discharge and was just approved today for the cap one quicksilver rewards card

So if I dont activate the creditone what happens?

Message 5 of 16
KRAMathKY
New Contributor

I would call CreditOne and find out what they have to say about not activating the card.  

Message 6 of 16
mkkbell
Established Member

Creditone says i have 14 days to activate or the card is automaticly closed...

Just not sure if i should keep this card.

Will my two cap one cards be enough to get me started on rebuilding?

Message 7 of 16
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

The CreditOne card charges fees every month whether you use the card or not. Since you have CapOne cards, I would cancel the CreditOne. If you do cancel the card before activating, make sure there are no charges on it already. It has happened to others.
Message 8 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The account is legally open, and thus reportable, as of the date they approved the credit.

Activation is a business measure related to ensuring the consumer received the card.  Failure to activate does not equate with no open, reportable account.

They may choose not to report if the card is not activated and they close it, but are not precluded from doing so.

Message 9 of 16
mkkbell
Established Member

Oh the confusion!

I spoke to a creditone rep they there would be no charges if i didnt activate! hey it could get lost in the mail right?!

Anyway i wont activate and ensure there are no charges. I never thought that cap one would approve a non secured card it wasnt an option when i applied for it.

But after the first month of using it my scores sky rocketed just wish i would have tried the cap on again instead of credit one

Wish me luck

EDIT

Robert so do you think it would be bad to not activate and have this shown as opened and then closed if thats what happens?

-Mark

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.