cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I and best place to get an installment loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I and best place to get an installment loan?

One of my refusals in the past year suggested that lack of an installment loan was one of the reasons that I got denied.

Right now, I have about $10k in credit debt *gulp*. I have plans to pay at least half off before New Years and hopefully more. 

Meanwhile, I was considering trying to get an installment loan to consilidate my debt (at least part of it, if not all of it). The problem is, the one place that I applied, where I was told I was "sure" to get it, denied me. (I work for the company, was told by multiple coworkers that all you have to do is open an account and deposit some $ and pretty much everyone gets a loan through them. Not me, apparently!) Walmart says my credit score is 659 which I know isn't perfect, but not horrid, either. My only "baddies" on my report are two very low medical bills (under $50) that would have expired by now if I had not tried to make my credit right by paying them off two years ago. Now they show more current, of course.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any creditors that are better about that than others for people with no so perfect credit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will, of course, continue paying down my debt each month as I have been. I do not have any lates at all, but all of my credit is credit card and store card credit. I was considering the installment loan to kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Should I and best place to get an installment loan?

@Anonymous wrote:

One of my refusals in the past year suggested that lack of an installment loan was one of the reasons that I got denied.

Right now, I have about $10k in credit debt *gulp*. I have plans to pay at least half off before New Years and hopefully more. 

Meanwhile, I was considering trying to get an installment loan to consilidate my debt (at least part of it, if not all of it). The problem is, the one place that I applied, where I was told I was "sure" to get it, denied me. (I work for the company, was told by multiple coworkers that all you have to do is open an account and deposit some $ and pretty much everyone gets a loan through them. Not me, apparently!) Walmart says my credit score is 659 which I know isn't perfect, but not horrid, either. My only "baddies" on my report are two very low medical bills (under $50) that would have expired by now if I had not tried to make my credit right by paying them off two years ago. Now they show more current, of course.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any creditors that are better about that than others for people with no so perfect credit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will, of course, continue paying down my debt each month as I have been. I do not have any lates at all, but all of my credit is credit card and store card credit. I was considering the installment loan to kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks in advance!

Are these medical bills showing as collections on your reports ?   Collections only show on your reports for 7.5 from the date of first deliquency ( DOFD ) of the original account, which for medical bills would be the date of service.    Paying a collection does not make it show longer on your reports.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, medical bills. All I know is it was from when I had a miscarriage in early 2004. We paid our copay and apparently got a bill afterwards (well, two bills) for under $50 from the sonographer and we moved in the mean time. They must have billed late enough that the mail did not get forwarded to where we moved because I never knew about it until I saw it on the credit report. The date that they have on my credit report is the date that I paid it which makes it look way more current than it is.

(I did put these details on my credit reported, ftr.)

Message 3 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, medical bills. All I know is it was from when I had a miscarriage in early 2004. We paid our copay and apparently got a bill afterwards (well, two bills) for under $50 from the sonographer and we moved in the mean time. They must have billed late enough that the mail did not get forwarded to where we moved because I never knew about it until I saw it on the credit report. The date that they have on my credit report is the date that I paid it which makes it look way more current than it is.

(I did put these details on my credit reported, ftr.)

If this is from 2004 then they should be very close to the end of the credit reporting time period.   Look at your Equifax credit report and it will show the DOFD ~ reports from Transunion and Experian will show an estimated drop~off date.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, thank you!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.