cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for a credit card now or wait (entered 600's)?

tag
missindependent
Contributor

Should I apply for a credit card now or wait (entered 600's)?

I was stupid enough to apply for 3 credit cards when I was in the 500's. I just entered the 620's. Should I apply for another credit card or wait and avoid the inquiries? Which cards should I apply for?

AMEX PRG (NPSL), Citi Double Cash ($1200), BECU ($1000), Barney's ($1000), Bloomingdales Store Card ($1000), Neiman Marcus ($700), Macy's Store Card ($600), Amazon Rewards Visa Card, ($500), Capital One Platinum ($500), Capital One QuicksilverOne ($500)

Starting Score: 543
Current Score: EX:649 EQ: 657 TU:661
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Good luck to all of our myFICO Fitness Challengers!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I apply for a credit card now or wait (entered 600's)?

How long has it been since you applied for the 3 ? If I were you I wouldn't garden for 12-18 months before getting the 4th card .
Message 2 of 8
missindependent
Contributor

I applied for a credit card last month. 3-4 inquiries so far this year. I had 2-3 inquiries in 2014. I have two credit cards now (First Premier & CreditOne). One paid in full charge off that includes 19 lates/short credit history. Denied by Comenity, CapitalOne, and Discover. 

AMEX PRG (NPSL), Citi Double Cash ($1200), BECU ($1000), Barney's ($1000), Bloomingdales Store Card ($1000), Neiman Marcus ($700), Macy's Store Card ($600), Amazon Rewards Visa Card, ($500), Capital One Platinum ($500), Capital One QuicksilverOne ($500)

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are in the 600's now I would re-app for Cap One and open two accounts with them if approved.

3-4 inquiries is not anything to worry about.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had those same two cards first then 6-7 months later Cap1 let me in. I was only using credit karma and my score there was in the high 580's. I have no idea what my real fico was as I knew nothing about this site then. Good luck but be careful with Cap1 they pull all three bureau's at the time I kept applying resulting in a massive amount of inquiries, Do you have a pre qualified offer for anything? Check those before actually applying.

Message 5 of 8
missindependent
Contributor

I just paid a Capital One charge off. I used the pre-appoval tool this morning and it said that they don't have any cards that match my profile. I'm guessing it's because I called the recon line two weeks ago and I just got the decline letter. I heard there is a 30 day automatic decline period for people who try to re-apply immediately after they are rejected. Is that true and if so how long should I wait before trying? 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd give it a couple of months. In the meantime, you might try opening an account with SDFCU and apply for a secured card through them.

Message 7 of 8
missindependent
Contributor

@minicook @NormanFH I'll  take your advice and wait a few months/get a secured card. Then I'll apply using pre-qualify tools. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.