Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for secured card?

tag
yejun
Established Member

Should I apply for secured card?

I have 2 cap1 unsecured card with 500 and 750 limit. My current fico is 583 with 6 paid derogatory. I am wondering should I apply boa or citi secured card or just gardening?

thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I apply for secured card?

Hi and Welcome to the forums,

Would need more info please..

What are the 6 paid baddies?  and how old are they?

Do you have any unpaid baddies?

Also how old are the 2 cap one CC's?  and are carrying balances on them or paying the CC's off every month?

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

With two established lines of revolving credit, that would not be my first focus.

I would concentrate first on cleaning up whatever is in your report that is impacting your score. 

Is there some compelling reason why you need an additional revolving line of credit?

Message 3 of 5
yejun
Established Member

Thanks for the reply.

All baddies are paid last year, so unlikely I can have them removed anytime soon. One cap1 is 2 year old, the other is new. I am wandering if secured card can help me get a high limit card a bit faster.

Message 4 of 5
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

I understand the collections were paid last year, but............. How old was the debts the CA;s had?

Do you know the DoFD (date of first default) on the debts or the drop dates on these collections?

If these debts were recently defaulted on, your CS took a huge hit. 

I would suggest sending a short & sweet  G W letters , to try to improve your CS.

You never know until you try.Search the forums here for the names of the CA's, to see if they are GW friendly or not.

I would suggest waiting on getting a secured CC, until your CS improves abit.

Keep paying your bills on time.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.