Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel my Credit One Card?

tag
roniram
Regular Contributor

Should I cancel my Credit One Card?

I'm trying to move from sub-prime cards to prime cards in the next few months now that I know about utilization and maintaing lower balances as a way to increase my FICO scores.  I want to get rid of my Credit One since I hate paying that monthly $8.75 fee.  Has anyone had success getting it permanantly waived?  I know its not good to cancel good standing accounts, but if I can get rid of a $99 annually $300 credit card (which they stated they would be happy to raise to $450 if I pay $19.95), I will go ahead and do so. 

Venture 10K /NFCU Platinum 6.6K /Amazon 6.6K/ Walmart 3.3K /Cap 1 QS1 1.65K /Cap 1 Platinum 1.15K /Show MC 1.1 /Amex BCE 1K /Chase Freedom 1K / NFCU Cash Rewards 500/
Starting Score: 6/1/13 TU 566 EXP 632 EQ 611
Current Score: 09/13/21 TU 726 EXP 717 EQ 718
Goal Score: 740 Across the Board
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Should I cancel my Credit One Card?

There is nothing wrong with closing a CC as long as the balance is paid to 0 before doing so.  The TL will still factor into your AAoA but you will lose the CL lowering your overall available credit.  This could hurt your utilization.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.