cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close Capital One Secured card???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I close Capital One Secured card???

As @crrredit says, hang on to the secured card until you have a 3rd unsecured card to replace it.
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep - just got the same response...not sure what to do with this card now. Guess I'll just keep it in my backpocket

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a question on this - I've had my secured card the longest, will combining it with my QS or Platinum change the date? Like the secured is from 2013, but the QS is from 2015 and the Platinum is from 2014, I don't want to lose my oldest tradeline. Any advice?

AFAIK, the secured accounts are not eligible for account combination. Don't sweat "losing your oldest tradeline" - you don't lose anything, it will still be there reporting as a good account for another ten years. When I combined mine a few months ago I closed the oldest and rolled it into the newer account. The older one was from 2011, and the newer one from 2012. I saw no point change at all. 

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you close it you WILL be able to open an unsecured Cap One Platinum or QS1 account to replace it. You will have to wait a day or so to let the application system "see" the closed account, if you app right away its will be an automatic denial for too many accounts.

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep - just got the same response...not sure what to do with this card now. Guess I'll just keep it in my backpocket

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you close it you WILL be able to open an unsecured Cap One Platinum or QS1 account to replace it. You will have to wait a day or so to let the application system "see" the closed account, if you app right away its will be an automatic denial for too many accounts.

@Anonymous wrote:

Never mind - I see you have THREE cap one accounts - belay my last.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.