Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my capital one platinum secured mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I close my capital one platinum secured mastercard

Hello..i am looking for advice on whether to close one of my cc with co.

I got the capital one secured mastercard limit 200$ in june 2013. The limit is still 200$ of which i think all of it was my secured amount.

I got an unsecured capital one quicksilver in jan 2015 with a limit of 500$.zero balance.

I got fingerhut revolving acct in mar 2015 with a 400$ credit line. Will be zero balance in mext statement.

I did the shopping cart trick and got express and jcrew each for 250$ yesterday.

I have been getting preapprovals for the capital one platinum mastercard unsecured for the last few weeks.

The question i have is..should i close the secured card and app for the unsecured platinum mastercard?is this of value? The one i would be closing would be my oldest acct..will this affect my score?

Or should the approach be to hold off on new app now and grow the quicksilver (5th statement cuts on june 10th..hoping for a cli)?any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I close my capital one platinum secured mastercard

Forgot to add...i have called multiple times to get a cli on mastercard..so far no luck.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Newbie84,

Congrats on your recent approvals...  So to answer your questions,

The question i have is..should i close the secured card and app for the unsecured platinum mastercard?is this of value? The one i would be closing would be my oldest acct..will this affect my score? - Don't close this secured card yet.  Not only is it the oldest account but also helps with your utilization based on the limits on your current cards.

Or should the approach be to hold off on new app now and grow the quicksilver (5th statement cuts on june 10th..hoping for a cli)?any advice is appreciated. Thanks. - I'd grow the quicksilver.  Is the CAP I platinum card a must have for you?

What are your current FICOs?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. No..it is not a must have for me but i would rather have an unsecured version than a secured one..especially on that hasnt grown over the last couple of years.

My current ficos are in the 620s for all (exp, equifax and tu)

My only derogatory is one 90 day on the secured card which i am sending GW letters for the last 3 months.
Message 4 of 9
ScottL
New Contributor

what is the shopping cart trick from express and j crew you were mentioning?

Starting Score: 498 (Jan 2013)
Current FICO 8: 687 EQ, 683 TU, 700 EX
Goal Score: 680
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are several threads about the shopping cart trick that explain it better than i can. In a nutshell..u go to the website, select some item..proceed to checkout..fill in your info and just before u get to payment section you will get a popup saying you are pre approved for their card..you can then apply (soft pull only..asks for only last 4 of ssn) and you will get the account.

To be honest it works only for some people and am not sure if its luck or indicative of credit profile. I have been trying once every 2 months for the past year. Never got the popup before yesterday. Once you are approved for the cards you can close the browser and do not need to complete checkout.
Message 6 of 9
ScottL
New Contributor

awesome, I just tried on both sites but didnt work. Do you proceed to checkout as a guest or do you have to have an account and sign in? Do you go past the screen and into payment screen or does it just pop up as soon as you type in your info?

Message 7 of 9
traveler2005
Established Contributor

I would keep the secured card open and open another capital one card. Then once the next annual fee is due on secured card then close it. As far as the shopping card trick. I think it always helps to go ahead and fill out the information they ask for. Then sign into your account. This gives them the info they need to soft pull your reports. If you get to the payment page and a pop up doesn't come up its either a no go or you have your pop up blocker turned off.

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 8 of 9
ScottL
New Contributor

sweet, i just got it on the J Crew site. It wasnt a pop up, just was there at the top of the page when I got as far as the payment info. thanks!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.