Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my secured credit card?

tag
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

Should I close my secured credit card?

Back in 2011 when I had just started rebuilding, I got a Capital One secured credit card.  I put a $1000 deposit.  Since then I have gotten a NFCU credit card with $8000 limit, a Capital One Platinum (unsecured) with $1000 limit; Citbank credit card with $1000 limit and a JC Penney with $800 limit.  Should I close the secured credit card?  I should also mention I am in the middle of a mortgage application, but not sure if it's going to go through.  They are giving me grief about my self-employment even though I have teacher retirement, a part time job with a school district (but only have one year there so they say they can't count it) and am working as an independent contractor with another school district (that is the self-employment).   I know I should not get any new credit, but not sure about closing credit cards.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I close my secured credit card?

@proudnavymom wrote:

Back in 2011 when I had just started rebuilding, I got a Capital One secured credit card.  I put a $1000 deposit.  Since then I have gotten a NFCU credit card with $8000 limit, a Capital One Platinum (unsecured) with $1000 limit; Citbank credit card with $1000 limit and a JC Penney with $800 limit.  Should I close the secured credit card?  I should also mention I am in the middle of a mortgage application, but not sure if it's going to go through.  They are giving me grief about my self-employment even though I have teacher retirement, a part time job with a school district (but only have one year there so they say they can't count it) and am working as an independent contractor with another school district (that is the self-employment).   I know I should not get any new credit, but not sure about closing credit cards.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Do nothing while in process for a mortgage. You dont want to mess with anything till you close, if  its no go then if you can afford the loss of available credit for utilization purposes, go ahead and close it. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I close my secured credit card?

I agree! Why needlessly pay to use your own money. You have enough credit built to garden your score. I would wait for the mortgage response. As well, I'd advise folks who want a secured card to go to a bank where the cc report (5th 3rd example) doesn't report that the card is secured!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.