cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I delete my old addresses and phone numbers from credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard it helps because they cannot validate with old info, but does that count for CRA disputes as well, or just DV letters?

Are there any negatives from deleting everything but my current phone number/address?  One that I thought of was maybe if a collection agency runs my credit report again like they do every month, they can see I only have one address and will know for sure that that is the correct address?

Please reply soon, I am logged into TU right now waiting to pull the trigger.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I delete my old addresses and phone numbers from credit report?

Idk about the validating part but I think it's a good thing to clean up that info. If you've been at your address for more than 2 years you can choose to remove all but your current or you can leave your most recent 2 (that's what I did since I've lived in my apt only 1 year) and remove all inaccurate or old #s. Technically speaking the CAs should know your recent address if they're reviewing your report for the simple fact that the most recent is usually the first address and some reports show the reported date so I dont think that should stop you. If anything it prevents them from sending stuff to old address and using that as their dunning notice.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just make sure that all your current lenders have your current address. If they do then you should be good
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

For some reason all of my father's addresses, previous and current, were showing on my credit reports.  I have NEVER lived with him beyond the age of 13, nor have I ever had anything mailed there or any other ties to those addresses.  

When I finallly saw all of them showing on my reports, I immediately had them deleted.  I also finally understood why my Dad and step-family were always getting collection calls on my behalf. I could never figure it out since I  had no official ties to them, especially my step-sister,  But she received calls very frequently, and has for years, 2 different cities, 3 different addresses.   She is tied to my Dad's addresses and tthey were all on my reports.    It doesn't matter much now since the collection calls have all but stopped since I'm over SOL on everything but, man, it was emarrassing. I just kept having to lie and sayI had no idea what they could be calling about.  

I have not been able to get my Dad's current address removed though. All of the agencies want me to send a copy of my DL before they will remove it. I will do that eventually but I have no idea why they won't remove it based on the "this is a relative's address" option on the online dispute forms.  

All of this to say that collection agentices do tie you to address based off your reports. However, if the addresses were actually yours, I am not sure the can be removed. I don't know but it seems like that would fall under the "vaiid information" umbrella in that they can't delete information that is correct. 

Message 4 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There are reasons why creditors or debt collectors may be trying to contact you.

You may or may not wish to be found via an address in your credit report.

Examples include service of notice of a lawsuit or sending of dunning notice.

You would be best, in my opinion, not to avoid either of those, but some have differing opinions......

CRA disputes are conducted by the CRA, and if you dispute, you must provide the CRA a contact address for the notice of results.

If they have your current address, they will post likely it in your file and it will appear in your credit report.

You cant ask the CRA to handle your dispute, and then give them no way ot contact you.

DV requests, however, do not involve the CRAs in any way.  Thus, what is in your credit file/report is not relevant.

If you send a DV, you must give them a response address.

Message 5 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

This is interesting to me because I have one bureau that is reporting all of my past addresses. I think I'll clean that up today.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You just call them up and ask them to remove all the old addresses?

Message 7 of 10
howiez28
New Contributor

What about old closed accounts that were good?  If we delete old addresses will that get those accounts deleted?  I have a few really old installment loans that I would hate to delete because it shows a good history in my report but they are definitely connected to an old address.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry for bumping an old thread. transunion was amazing and deleted them without problem(some not even mine or correct). Experien on the other hand acted as if I asked them to delete collections accounts off my record. 8+ year old address they wouldn't even remove and even addresses that doesnt exist(numbers are wrong, apartment number are added when these are clearly houses). Yes, experien was definitely a no go for me. she transfered me to a manager who of course was busy(after she placed me on hold for 10 minutes) and eventually just transfered me to his voicemail. Guess I'll have to be more thorough with dealing with them. Hopefullly equifax will be a breeze as transunion was!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for updating this. I had the same questions as to if I wanted to have them removed or not. I will save that for last, I think. good luck with everything!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.