Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute DOLA's?

tag
Suthrncomfrt1884
Valued Member

Should I dispute DOLA's?

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my credit. Years ago, I ran into a mess that put me in a huge hole. I filed for bankruptcy, and then 2 years after that I was back in the same boat due to poor decisions. I'm older, a little less stupid, and a lot more motivated...but I need some help.

After signing up here and finding that my TU, EQ, and EX scores were 669, 679, and 604 respectively, I became a little excited. I really put off rebuilding my credit for far too long. I was scared to apply for anything for fear of rejection. So...on to my situation.

This past march, my parents helped me by co-signing a loan for a car. I recently opened a capital one secured card. Other than that, I only have one open card from 10 years ago (it's innovative but open) and 3 paid/never late car loans. The most recent was in 2004. S I don't currently have much open credit and I'm having issues getting it due to this...

I filed for bankruptcy and was discharged in 2005. I'm 2006 I opened 3 credit cards. By mid 2007 all of these cards were in collections. I have paid these debts and the collection accounts have been removed from my reports, but the charge offs still remain. Each report shows the DOLA as being a little different, but they should all fall off in 2014 if everything goes correctly. These three accounts are haunting me, and making it impossible to get credit.

So...on to my real question. Can I dispute the DOLA on these with each CRA to get them to match each other? The earliest DOLA's show these falling off 2/2014-5/2014. Some of them are reporting 6-8 months later though. I'd like these to fall off ASAP so I can move on with my life and hopefully secure a mortgage.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to be detailed.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Should I dispute DOLA's?

DOLA has nothing to do with when something falls off.  That would be the DoFD.

Message 2 of 9
Suthrncomfrt1884
Valued Member

None of my credit reports are showing a DOFD field.  Is there some way I can find this out without calling the OC?  I don't want to risk them re-aging my accounts. 

Message 3 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

There is nothing they can do to re-age your account.  That would mean changing the DoFD and that is illegal.

Pull your reports from annualcreditreport.com.  One free from each CRA every 12 months.  EQ will have the DoFD, TU and EX will have drop off dates.

Message 4 of 9
Suthrncomfrt1884
Valued Member

After pulling my reports, the dates are different on all three. Can I dispute this or should I just what until each one falls off from one report and dispute the other two at that time?

Thanks for the help.
Message 5 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Only EQ has the DoFD.  TU and EX has fall off dates,  You would subtract 7.5 years from that to give you the DoFD.

Message 6 of 9
Suthrncomfrt1884
Valued Member

Right...I got those.  For instance... my TU report has a fall off date of 03/2014 for one of these charge offs, but the EX fall of date is about 9 months after that.  So when this Credit line falls off my TU report, should I dispute with the other two CRA's to have it removed?  

Message 7 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

TU and EX go by information provided to them by the OC and they calculate the DoFD based on that information.  So it could fall off early or later.  Unless you have the actual, verifable DoFD a dispute probably would not work.

What does EQ have as the DoFD.

Do you have any idea when you first became delinquent and never caught up?

Message 8 of 9
Suthrncomfrt1884
Valued Member

EQ has the DoFD as 05/2007 for that specific credit line which means it's 2 months later than my TU file.  

Unfortunately, I don't have any paperwork for these credit lines and I highly doubt the OC will work with me on them.  

I suppose I'll just wait to see what happens and hope they drop off sooner than later.  I'd like to start mortgage shopping in late May of 2014, so hopefully two of them will drop off by then.  My credit usage has been minimal the last 6 years, but everything is 100% with it, so I'm crossing my fingers that by May it works out.  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.