Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute collection accounts that I paid that now read: PAID or SETTLED

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I dispute collection accounts that I paid that now read: PAID or SETTLED

A few years ago, I went through divorce, got stuck with a ton of debt ... then lost my job. So I let some accounts go into collection. About a year ago, I started to pay them off, and a couple of the big ones I settled. Now, I have 2 left that I will pay off. My score has crept up slightly, but still in the tank. I was considering disputing the ones I paid and settled to see if I could get them taken off as a result of the agency not responding to the dispute. Does this work? What else can I do to get the score up? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I dispute collection accounts that I paid that now read: PAID or SETTLED

If their reporting was accurate, what would be your assertion of inaccuracy in your dispute?

I am not advising not to dispute, as that is up to you.  But it would not comprise a valid dispute.

The legitimate option would be to request GW deletion.

Message 2 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I dispute collection accounts that I paid that now read: PAID or SETTLED

Welcome to the forums!

Please keep in mind that forum members are not allowed to give advice that advocates disputing accurate items on your credit reports. Here are the Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines

Thanks for contributing to these forums and for your cooperation!

--fused, myfico moderator

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry .. I'm a newbie to the forum. Can you tell me what GW means? Thank you.
Message 4 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry .. I'm a newbie to the forum. Can you tell me what GW means? Thank you.

No problem! GW is a "goodwill" letter. Here's a sample letter, just tweak it to your situation.

GW Letter

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.