cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute this?

tag
Seta

Should I dispute this?

I only have one blemish on my credit and here is the situation.

I have an old collection that I paid off in May 2013. I recently discovered that TU is still reported this collection as unpaid, and status >In Collection<.

I went to TU online dispute to get it removed.. and discovered that due to the age it's scheduled to fall off my report 6/2015, four months from now.

My question is.. should I still dispute to get it removed before then..? Or will TU actually updating the status to 'PAID' change the fall-off date and screw me for another 7 years? Is there any harm to just waiting the four months and letting it fall off naturally?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
newstart2010
Blogger

Re: Should I dispute this?

Fixing the status of the account will not reset it for another 7 years. What I would do is this.

Call TU.  Use gethuman.com to find the best number.  When you get a customer service rep immediately as for a supervisor.  Explain the situation and state that you would like it removed early since you are within 4 months of it falling off your account.  be persistent. The front line people cannot help you with this so don't try.  You have to go through a supervisor.  And you do not want to dispute it, you want it removed.  Try this a few times till they do it.  If they refuse and you just don't want to call anymore, then dispute the way its being reported and try to get it removed again next month.

I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 2 of 4
crrredit
Established Contributor

You could try for an early exclusion from TU. The general opinion on this board is to start trying that 6 months out with TU. You're well within that range. You can do it by calling or by mail. I don't know which is more effective. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Several successes over the last few weeks getting early exclusions, myself included. Use the TU pennsylvania number. (Search the forum for CRA phone and fax, im on my tablet and cant link) you may have to call a couple times but you can get it done. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.