Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute?

tag
KeepSwimming
Regular Contributor

Should I dispute?

Hmm. Chewing on this and could use some advice.

There's a charge-off on my CR for $865 from Verizon Wireless. I haven't had a Verizon Wireless account....I had called them asking what the deal was, and after about an hour of digging, they pieced together that this was from an Alltel wireless account that I had closed. But they had no record of it being closed. It was my word against theirs.

I'm not sure how they even got to $865, and I'm frustrated because I had closed this account and moved, so it fell off my radar.

I had sent a PFD to Credit Protection Assoc, but got no response. I'm wondering if it's worth disputing this through the credit bureaus.

Any thoughts?

Starting Score: TU: 550 EQ: 556 (pulled 6/2010)
Current Score: (pulled 4/18/11) TU: 668(pulled 4/18/2011) EQ: 741
Goal Score: Above 700 on both

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I dispute?

I would send a DV to whoever is reporting it.
Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@KeepSwimming wrote:

Hmm. Chewing on this and could use some advice.

There's a charge-off on my CR for $865 from Verizon Wireless. I haven't had a Verizon Wireless account....I had called them asking what the deal was, and after about an hour of digging, they pieced together that this was from an Alltel wireless account that I had closed. But they had no record of it being closed. It was my word against theirs.

I'm not sure how they even got to $865, and I'm frustrated because I had closed this account and moved, so it fell off my radar.

I had sent a PFD to Credit Protection Assoc, but got no response. I'm wondering if it's worth disputing this through the credit bureaus.

Any thoughts?

I would not dispute.  First it seems to be an accurate account and second, disputing can lead to worse things.

I would send them a DV letter.  If they cannot validate, they have to remove it.  It could show up under a different CA but, deal with that if and when it happens.

Message 3 of 4
KeepSwimming
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys! You're right, I'll go that route. Thank you Smiley Happy

Starting Score: TU: 550 EQ: 556 (pulled 6/2010)
Current Score: (pulled 4/18/11) TU: 668(pulled 4/18/2011) EQ: 741
Goal Score: Above 700 on both

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.