cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I email them back? OC asking for payment.

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Should I email them back? OC asking for payment.

Around the time I first joined the forums, I posted about having a charged off loan from Pioneer Military Loans.  I defaulted when I got out of the military at the end of 2004.  They nagged me on & off over the phone until maybe mid-2008.  I wasn't able to pay because I have been unemployed since 2004.  They sent it to a CA, Tate & Kirlin, who I DV'd after they put a hard inquiry on my TU report.  T & K never responded.  After that, they had left me alone for a long time.  Then, about 4-6 months ago, Pioneer started emailing me at the beginning of each month:

Re: Account Number: xxx0979

Dear Rosemary,

Your account with Pioneer Services from 08/21/2004 is seriously delinquent. We have tried to contact you repeatedly and you have not responded.

It is important that you contact us today to resolve your obligation with Pioneer  Services. It is also our duty to notify you that you are in jeopardy of damaging your credit and forcing further collection efforts on our behalf.

Your actions will determine what steps we must take. Contact us today at 800-538-4233.

Respectfully,

Pioneer Services

We may report information about your account to the credit bureaus. Late or missed payments, or other defaults on your account may be reflected in your credit report. 
(Duh, right?)

Since this is pretty much past SOL (TX - 4 years), should I just email them & ask them to leave me alone?  Since this is still the OC, I doubt they would do a PFD.  They were jerks the entire time they were actively trying to collect.  I have never sent them any kind of written communication or request, mostly because I don't want them to see it as an invitation to start sending me letters or whatnot.

The only reason I'm hesitant to contact them is because I don't want them to start updating my TU report again.  They stopped way back in 2006, & show a zero balance.  For some reason, they keep updating the other 2 every month, including a $2,117 balance, but not exactly the same.  I believe on EQ they have listed a total of 32 90-day lates!  I would dispute but it would probably just do more harm than good.

My credit reports all say this should come off my reports by the end of next year, even though that seems early to me, but I'm not complaining!  I just want to know if I should be concerned that they are suddenly contacting me again after all this time.  Thank you for reading this.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I email them back? OC asking for payment.

Two questions

1. Is the OC or any of the collection agency(s) still reporting this account ?

2. What type of loan is it ?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 29
laz98
Senior Contributor

The OC is reporting only.  No CA ever reported it.  It's a small loan I got to help my bf pay for his tuition, I think originally $2000?  I don't remember.

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends really on your situation. Do you have the money to pay in full if necessary? Is this your only negative? The fall off date is correct if your Date Of First Delinquency was 8/04. If this is your only baddie and you are out of the SOL then I say go for it. Try DV'ing the validity first. Then offer to PFD. Especially if you have copies of the CR showing the fall off date. This would keep them from being able to reclock. You are better off PFDing with the OC in my opinion. Anyway that is my thoughts. Again if you are looking for a major purchase anytime before now and next year then it might be worth it.
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

The OC is reporting only.  No CA ever reported it.  It's a small loan I got to help my bf pay for his tuition, I think originally $2000?  I don't remember.

As long as it is not a private lender student loan and you are sure it is out of SOL, you can probably just add their e-mail address to your kill file.

Message 5 of 29
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It depends really on your situation. Do you have the money to pay in full if necessary? Is this your only negative? The fall off date is correct if your Date Of First Delinquency was 8/04. If this is your only baddie and you are out of the SOL then I say go for it. Try DV'ing the validity first. Then offer to PFD. Especially if you have copies of the CR showing the fall off date. This would keep them from being able to reclock. You are better off PFDing with the OC in my opinion. Anyway that is my thoughts. Again if you are looking for a major purchase anytime before now and next year then it might be worth it.

No, I certainly don't have the money to pay in full, aside from putting it on a credit card.  & honestly, I don't want to.  They didn't want to work with me when I did have some money from my tax return, so I'm really not inclined to make them happy by PIF.  That may be childish, but oh well.  Smiley Very Happy

The DOFD is Jan '05, which is correctly listed on all of my reports, which is why I'm surprised (but glad!) the dropoff date is listed as something earlier on all of my reports, even if only by 2 months, in one case.

no, this is not my only baddie.  i have a midland account from a verizon account gone bad.  that should fall off in the next 6 months or so.

i don't plan on buying anything big, not with my credit scores.  my main goal is to get better credit cards.

Message 6 of 29
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@laz98 wrote:

As long as it is not a private lender student loan and you are sure it is out of SOL, you can probably just add their e-mail address to your kill file.

Oh no, definitely not a student loan.  I would never go that route, for sure.  I borrowed the absolute minimum help my bf avoid getting dropped from his classes.  It's just a plain unsecured loan.

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then I'd just keep ignoring them or flag as spam.
Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Then I'd just keep ignoring them or flag as spam.

It might be kind of funny to report the e-mail sender to their ISP for spamming and sit back and watch to see if their ISP nukes their account.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 29
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Food for thought...    you received a loan when you asked for it...   since you have not paid it back (then, since, or now), you could be the reason another person/family is turned down.

Aside from that aspect, you borrowed the money, you should pay it back.  This far out from DOFD, you can pretty much write your own terms for monthly payments.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.