cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I email them back? OC asking for payment.

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: MORE NEWS

@IOBA wrote:

I think, but am not sure, that they can.

You DV'd them and they stopped all collection efforts.  They returned the collection back to the OC.

The OC tried to collect from you without success.   The OC has now turned it over to the CA.

Hi IOBA!  So, the OC can send it back to the SAME collection agency as before, even if they never complied with my DV?  Isn't that considered continued collection activity?

If anyone else has some advice, I'd love to hear it.  I'd really like to send them a letter today, since I already have to go to the post office Smiley Tongue

Message 21 of 29
laz98
Senior Contributor

no comments?  Smiley Sad

well, maybe someone can at least comment on my letter.

A debt validation letter per FDCPA 809 was mailed to your offices via certified mail on September 3, 2008.  You received it on September 6, 2008 according to the return receipt I received on September 11, 2008.

I had not received any further communications from your offices until November 15, 2010, when I received a new debt collection notice.

Your offices never responded to my validation request and are now continuing collection efforts in clear violation of the FDCPA by sending me a new collection notice for this alleged debt. 

As of today you are in willful violation of the FDCPA for continuing collection activity without providing any validation of this alleged debt.  Any postings of this unverified information to my credit reports will be considered a violation of the FCRA.

thanks for any help.

Message 22 of 29
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I'm no expert on writing letters because fortunately I haven't had to write very many but it sounds pretty good to me.

Haven't you said before you live in Texas? Maybe not. But if you do live in Texas the CA is also in violation of Texas law because they did not answer your DV within 30 days as required.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

@IOBA wrote:

I think, but am not sure, that they can.

You DV'd them and they stopped all collection efforts.  They returned the collection back to the OC.

The OC tried to collect from you without success.   The OC has now turned it over to the CA.

Hi IOBA!  So, the OC can send it back to the SAME collection agency as before, even if they never complied with my DV?  Isn't that considered continued collection activity?

If anyone else has some advice, I'd love to hear it.  I'd really like to send them a letter today, since I already have to go to the post office Smiley Tongue

Interesting situation.

I would think that technically IOBA is correct, though I may very well be wrong.  I would seem to comply with the letter, but not the spirit, of the law. 

Still, I'd send them the letter you wrote and DV them again.

Message 24 of 29
laz98
Senior Contributor

@MVV:  Yep, I live in Texas.  I didn't think about that violation when I wrote the letter.  But that's good ammo for later!  Smiley Very Happy

@O6:  Well, I hope someone can clear it up for us.  I don't know who our resident legal gurus are, but it's sure not me!  I sent the letter out today CMRRR.  We'll just have to wait & see what happens now Smiley Surprised

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

@MVV:  Yep, I live in Texas.  I didn't think about that violation when I wrote the letter.  But that's good ammo for later!  Smiley Very Happy

@Anonymous:  Well, I hope someone can clear it up for us.  I don't know who our resident legal gurus are, but it's sure not me!  I sent the letter out today CMRRR.  We'll just have to wait & see what happens now Smiley Surprised

I'd look up the Texas statute and, if you are still within the SOL for suing them, you might be able to file against them in small claims court. 

That might soften them up a bit for a favorable settlement.

Message 26 of 29
laz98
Senior Contributor

O6:  I know this sounds stupid, but there's an SOL for how long I have to sue THEM???

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

O6:  I know this sounds stupid, but there's an SOL for how long I have to sue THEM???

Yes, unfortunately there is.  Smiley Sad

It should be specified in the Texas statute that deals with DVs.

Message 28 of 29
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

If you ever want to do some light reading.

Texas Finance Code

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.