Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I join a credit union?

tag
kbl7td
Established Member

Should I join a credit union?

To make a long story short, I'm real close to having a clean report if I can just get a cap one charge off, off my reports. I want to buy a car here in about 2-3 months. Currently I bank a BofA, though I like their bank, the only thing I really ever need is my acct number and routing for paying bills.

The reason I'd want to join the CU is to try and take advantage of the loan apr on auto loans. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't join, but, with an auto loan at a credit union can a cosigner be used? The rates they are offering are at 2.56%, if my cosigner has a great credit score, could I use them to get this rate?

I've heard that credit unions are the best at giving low apr's for auto loans, but also that dealers have several lenders that they can go through. However, I want to have the money on hand to try and get the lowest price too.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Should I join a credit union?

Message 2 of 13
mauve
Valued Contributor

Me too. Make sure they're NCUA insured. It's the CU version of FDIC.

My CU approved me for a car loan at 2.99% (Their lowest option was 1.99%). The dealer got me financed through their financing (Toyota Motor Credit) at 1.90%. I would definitely recommend walking in with financing in place.

Then I called my CU and asked for a CLI on the Visa I have through them based on the HP they did for the car loan. They took my card limit from $5k to $10k. So 2 birds, one stone.

As soon as I feel my house is appraisal-ready, I'm apping for a refi through their mortgage partnership. I have shopped around, and their rates are competitive plus they have more options even than other CUs I checked.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 13
mauve
Valued Contributor

Oh, and my CU has some other cool features, like

- usually no waiting period on deposits (if it's a really big / unusual deposit that's a personal check, there's a slight wait)

- overdraft protection - $2 fee if a check clears when my checking balance isn't sufficient and they have to pull from savings. Can also get cash advances from the cc like it's an account without some special cash advance fee. 

- 0 fee balance transfers from any credit card to my CU credit card, which is my lowest-rate card.

- 0 fees on foreign ATMs - if I want to use a major bank ATM, I am only charged by that bank. Not that I would need to - I can use an in-network CU ATM without charge from either entity.

- No fee auto bill pay, whether it is an ACH or a mailed check. I sometimes send my people I know checks this way.

Message 4 of 13
kbl7td
Established Member

@mauve wrote:

Me too. Make sure they're NCUA insured. It's the CU version of FDIC.

My CU approved me for a car loan at 2.99% (Their lowest option was 1.99%). The dealer got me financed through their financing (Toyota Motor Credit) at 1.90%. I would definitely recommend walking in with financing in place.

Then I called my CU and asked for a CLI on the Visa I have through them based on the HP they did for the car loan. They took my card limit from $5k to $10k. So 2 birds, one stone.

As soon as I feel my house is appraisal-ready, I'm apping for a refi through their mortgage partnership. I have shopped around, and their rates are competitive plus they have more options even than other CUs I checked.

They are NCUA approved.

So the dealer was lower, did you take the dealer financing or the CU? Yes Id like to come in the dealer with money in hand so that I can get the lowest price.

Message 5 of 13
mauve
Valued Contributor

I went with the dealer financing. Couldn't pass up that 1.09% discount.

Message 6 of 13
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

Yes, credit unions are better to do business with than banks...IMO.

That being said, be advised alot of CUs will HP upon joining. I joined 3 and they all did (suppose you could just ask them up front if they do). My words of advice would be to research exactly what FICO they are looking for (and which CRA they use if exclusive) to extend credit (if youre wanting an auto loan, or CC, or whatever), and wait until you hit that score before joining. That way, when you join, you can ask them to use that same pull for the loan/cc you want. Worse case scenario...they say no but you lose nothing with an additional HP.

Message 7 of 13
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

@mauve wrote:

Oh, and my CU has some other cool features, like

- usually no waiting period on deposits (if it's a really big / unusual deposit that's a personal check, there's a slight wait)

- overdraft protection - $2 fee if a check clears when my checking balance isn't sufficient and they have to pull from savings. Can also get cash advances from the cc like it's an account without some special cash advance fee. 

- 0 fee balance transfers from any credit card to my CU credit card, which is my lowest-rate card.

- 0 fees on foreign ATMs - if I want to use a major bank ATM, I am only charged by that bank. Not that I would need to - I can use an in-network CU ATM without charge from either entity.

- No fee auto bill pay, whether it is an ACH or a mailed check. I sometimes send my people I know checks this way.

Who's your credit union.

On a side note, I use DCU as one of my primary checking accounts. They are consistently touted as one of the top CU's in the country, but from their web site, it looks like they are not NCUA insured. Got my car refinanced at 1.99% there.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 8 of 13
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

My husband and I just joined a CU. They're not for profit, and a little more forgiving if your credit isn't too great and will give you a cc, or line of credit, auto loan etc. where other banks won't. They did do a HP which sucks, but it will benefit us in the long run when we want to refi our auto loan, open a cc, etc.
Message 9 of 13
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

I have been looking for a good credit union, but its hard to find a good local one because so little information is available about them.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.