cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I just bite the bullet and call CrapOne to settle?

tag
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Should I just bite the bullet and call CrapOne to settle?

I can't even believe I am saying this, but I am thinking about contacting CrapOne to try to work out a settlement even though SOL is likely coming in 1-2 months.  I found a house that I like, so I may push my mortgage plans up a little.  This CrapOne CO is now showing as $5648 and is by far my largest derogatory balance.  I would be going into my mortgage app process with a mid score barely over 620 (if I can even get it there by then), so I think that gettting this large CO paid would make me at least look a little better to lenders.

Also, I am afaid the if I do wait until SOL is over to contact them, they may file suit at the last minute.  I would assume that once they file suit, it will be too late for any reasonable settlement to keep it out of court (I definitely don't need a judment a month before applying for a mortgage).  Perhaps if I contact them on my own, I could get a litte better terms for the settlement and prevent them from going after a judgment.

Any thoughts on this?  I know paying the balance off won't help my score, but it shouldn't hurt it either as they are updating every month anyway.  The only thing I am worried about is what they "settled for lesser amount" notation would do to my score.  Would that be any worse than having the balance reporting each month like it is now?

Oh, and before anyone asks, no, I can not afford to PIF.  Well, I could, but that would blow my downpayment money and kind of defeat the purpose of contacting them early.  However, I think they would likely settle for less since the debt is so old.

Message Edited by valley_man0505 on 01-27-2009 01:56 PM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mymoneynow
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I just bite the bullet and call CrapOne to settle?

Since your main concern right now is how the Cap 1 acct will look on your mortgage credit app, you may want to go over to the mortgage forum and inquire there.

With that large a balance on a CC, I would be surprised if it does not become a major mortgage roadblock for you. Cap 1 is awful to deal with, they are famous for filing suits just prior to end of sol. They want their money, even if they have tacked on astronomical fees and late charges.

Remember fico looks at settled accounts and COs as dirtier than the dirt in your yard. They have a history of reporting to CRAs inaccurately, then when correcting, they report another area of report incorrectly. They try to make you look your absolute worst on reports.

Established Contributor

Thanks for the input mymoneynow.  I looked into getting a mortgage last year at one point.  The mortgage broker I worked with then didn't think the CapOne account would be an issue since it was at least quite old, but he also said that he wouldn't be at all surprised if any potential lenders required that to be paid off before they would work with me.  Anyway, not only am I worried about how bad it looks on my report, but I also worry about a last minute lawsuit from them like you said.  I would MUCH rather have "settled for less" on my credit reports than a judgment (especially since CRTP is coming this fall anyway).  Also, I would have to believe that even though "settled for less" looks bad in FICO scoring, I would have to believe that it wouldn't be any worse than the $5700 CO that is updating every month.

The thing that I am unsure about is what to expect from CapOne.  I have heard people see they are horrible to deal with like you said, but I have also seen people see they were really good to work with.  I have heard people say they never do settlements, but then there was also a post from Wonderin that had a chart she somehow got a hold of that showed the "standards" used by the CapOne to determine how much they will settle for depending on how long ago the account was CO'd.  It sounds like dealing with them is kind of a crapshoot.

Message Edited by valley_man0505 on 01-28-2009 06:08 AM
Message 3 of 6
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

I'm going through the exact same thing with them now. They haven't been reporting on my CR until Oct. 2008 then all of a sudden they started reporting and it's making it seem like I have past due payments. This was scheduled to drop from my report in April. I plan on going in for my pre-approval next month and hope that I can explain to them that this just starting reporting again and that I haven't had any recent late payments.

I have heard all horror stories concerning Cap1 and now I'm hearing they may sue before SOL?

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 712
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@valley_man0505 wrote:

I can't even believe I am saying this, but I am thinking about contacting CrapOne to try to work out a settlement even though SOL is likely coming in 1-2 months.  I found a house that I like, so I may push my mortgage plans up a little.  This CrapOne CO is now showing as $5648 and is by far my largest derogatory balance.  I would be going into my mortgage app process with a mid score barely over 620 (if I can even get it there by then), so I think that gettting this large CO paid would make me at least look a little better to lenders.

Also, I am afaid the if I do wait until SOL is over to contact them, they may file suit at the last minute.  I would assume that once they file suit, it will be too late for any reasonable settlement to keep it out of court (I definitely don't need a judment a month before applying for a mortgage).  Perhaps if I contact them on my own, I could get a litte better terms for the settlement and prevent them from going after a judgment.

Any thoughts on this?  I know paying the balance off won't help my score, but it shouldn't hurt it either as they are updating every month anyway.  The only thing I am worried about is what they "settled for lesser amount" notation would do to my score.  Would that be any worse than having the balance reporting each month like it is now?

Oh, and before anyone asks, no, I can not afford to PIF.  Well, I could, but that would blow my downpayment money and kind of defeat the purpose of contacting them early.  However, I think they would likely settle for less since the debt is so old.

Message Edited by valley_man0505 on 01-27-2009 01:56 PM

i'm not one for refusing a deal when there is enough upside, but here I do not frankly see any upside for you.

Crap1 is unlikely to delete this any time soon, even if you pay tomorrow, and your score it's unlikely to change once is paid. also, they might toll SOL with a partial payment just to make things worse for you.

if today you have 1 chance to get by the SOL the date without suit, by alerting them, they might file just to make sure the negotiation doesn't bring them past the SOL line.

Once the suit is filed, you have plenty time to negotiate. I would actually wait to be sued, and once filed discuss with the law firm that you plan to subpoena documents and witnesses, go on for weeks and once they get a judgment let them sweat any money because you don't have any assets and your job is actually in jeopardy right now (it doesn't need to be true to the letter, just sound like it), or they can accept 25% in full settlement before going to court - the offer to be withdrawn once you appear in court (negotiation documents cannot be used in court - so they can't tell the judge you offered them X% already). Fighting in court is not particularly hard, most of the work is done before going in the room - you ask (subpoena) for a bunch of documents plus first hand testimony by the people who open this account and saw it go into default - it's always hard for law frims to rpoduce this much evidence for such small (in relative terms) debts, and costs them money to travel witnesses.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 is known to file suit the last day of the month that your SOL is up.  If your DOFD/DOLA is in Jan then they can file  Jan 31st  and still catch you within SOL.

I would do nothing until you are sure that you are past SOL.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.