cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I leave this collection or pay it

tag
mojave

Should I leave this collection or pay it

My current score is 709. I have a $96 medical collection that I disputed in the past and it shows as thus on myFico. Anyway it is set to "fall away" this December. My credit seems ok and I've read that sometimes paying off collections can hurt your score. I'm 27, my oldest account is 14 years and the average age is 6. This collection is 6 or 7 years old. We will be buying a house within the year on my credit. What do you think?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Melanie220
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I leave this collection or pay it

Is the collection with OC or CA?
Have you searched the forums to see if there has been success with the reporting company.Maybe you can PFD and have it removed all together. You'd get a score bump?!?!
Message 2 of 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@mojave wrote:

My current score is 709. I have a $96 medical collection that I disputed in the past and it shows as thus on myFico. Anyway it is set to "fall away" this December. My credit seems ok and I've read that sometimes paying off collections can hurt your score. I'm 27, my oldest account is 14 years and the average age is 6. This collection is 6 or 7 years old. We will be buying a house within the year on my credit. What do you think?

In regards to your oldest account, are you a authorized user? I would pay it in full. It will not affect your score you might get a nice bump when it falls off in Dec.

Message 3 of 4
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

I think since it is so old I would offer 20% so it will be paid and not come back to haunt you with phone calls and letters later.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.