cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I move my Debt around or Just Ask for higher limit to help with credit utilization?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I move my Debt around or Just Ask for higher limit to help with credit utilization?

Hello Fico users I am New to this forum and I am trying to get my Credit In the 700's . I have a Chase and Citibank Credit Card each with $2000 limti and $1700 each owed on both of them. My overall credit is 17,650 and $4800 of that I owe. Should I apply for credit increase or just transfer a portion of those debts to my other cards to lower my debt utilization on those two cards?

Equifax 686 Transunion 673 Experian 659 ( was 673 but dropped and Im trying to find out why)

No Mortgage  No Auto Loans

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I move my Debt around or Just Ask for higher limit to help with credit utilization?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Fico users I am New to this forum and I am trying to get my Credit In the 700's . I have a Chase and Citibank Credit Card each with $2000 limti and $1700 each owed on both of them. My overall credit is 17,650 and $4800 of that I owe. Should I apply for credit increase or just transfer a portion of those debts to my other cards to lower my debt utilization on those two cards?

Equifax 686 Transunion 673 Experian 659 ( was 673 but dropped and Im trying to find out why)

I am not a fan of moving balances around.  However, if it is on a zero interest promotion then I could understand.  On the other hand just pay down the balances on those cards monthly.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I move my Debt around or Just Ask for higher limit to help with credit utilization?

Thank You for the Advice. I just wanna get in the 700's as soon as possible.

Message 3 of 8
Pway
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank You for the Advice. I just wanna get in the 700's as soon as possible.

You welcome.  You will get there.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Student loans? Personal loans? If not you can gain some points by getting a small ($500 max) share secured loan from SDFCU.

If the cards are eligible for CLI's you should certainly ask, but the emphasis needs to be on reducing the balances as quickly as possible.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

• No I don't have any Student Loans I have a small personal loan but it is only reporting with Equifax. any idea on a number of credit cards one should have on average?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
  • No I don't have any Student Loans I have a small personal loan but it is only reporting with Equifax. any idea on a number of credit cards one should have on average?

Recommended minimum is three for best score growth.

I'd suggest getting a share secured loan of no more than $500 at 36 month terms from SDFCU.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok I will start there, Thank you for the suggestion.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.