cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pay a medical collection account that is 6 years old??

tag
getit2gether
Contributor

Should I pay a medical collection account that is 6 years old??

Should I pay it or leave it alone? The collection agency has not been in contact with me. Its just reflecting on my credit report.

The collection agency has not validated the debt after I sent multiple letters asking them to. So I reported them to the BBB and their response was that

they sent me a collection letter 4/2007 and have not received a repsonse. They also went on to say that their client does not accept settlement agreements.

I don't understand why they would opt to collect nothing instead of something because I am really thinking that I'm going to wait and let this one fall off.

Its a medical collection from a service date in 2006.

I was only thinking paying it because I need to raise my score to obtain a mortgage.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I pay a medical collection account that is 6 years old??

They won't accept PFD?  If they don't then it's up to you to pay it or not.  A paid medical collection isn't going to be any better than what you have score wise, but looks better to lenders as it shows you pay your debts.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 4
getit2gether
Contributor

thanks. I'm going to let it fall off. I tried to pay it...

Message 3 of 4
jaypeedee
New Contributor

I had a loan officer tell me not to worry about medical accounts.  While I should because the do affect the score, when they look at your report, I guess the idea is that many people have these, and a hospital wont be trying to take your home. , I would let it fall off.

Starting Score: 604
Current Score: TU-632!-4/11/12
USAA CCMP:TU592 EQ574 EX592 UPDATED 3/19/12

Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.