cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pay an open account that was deleted?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I pay an open account that was deleted?

I succesfully disputed a Charged-off account (NCO  was the CA ....woohoo) but the balance is unpaid.  What should I do to ensure the item does not get reported in the future?  Should I contact the OC to pay before they resubmit the debt (a portion of the debt may be valid)?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I pay an open account that was deleted?

To me a successful dispute would be a dispute that gets the negative removed from your CR.  If that's the case here -- the CO is no longer being reported -- I see no reason to pay them.

Message 2 of 6
dharalex
Established Contributor

I'm torn with this. From a moral standpoint, if you owe the money, it should be paid...just because you're not being penalized is not a reason not to pay in my opinion. BUT, I think that paying can sometimes cause activity that can cause trouble for you...and we don't want that. It's possible if they delete from your report, they delete it from their system too. I do think that if the SOL is not up, they can still sell the account, and that new CA can report you. Maybe a mod or vet can chime in?

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, what deleted? A CA or the OC? If the OC, did NCO ever report?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The OC was AT&T, but it was NCO that reported the collections.  ATT was listed as he creditor.  I disputed the collection (not a charge-off as originally indicated) and the item was subsequently removed.

If the debt is valid (DV was my next step if the dispute did not work) I want to fulfill my obligation, however my ultimate goal is to improve my scores.

Message 5 of 6
dharalex
Established Contributor

I think your thought process is good.

My concern is if it is disputed and found to be legit, then even though it is removed, it could always show up again at some other time if it's not paid. On another note, not directed specifically at you, but when we don't pay our bills, the consumer loses...not big business. That's why it's gets harder to enjoy these services and have privileges when we think we can superficially decide nit to pay because we got our desired results. I've been in some shady credit issues, most of which were my fault. But I truly believe the ease is getting out of them was to personally take responsibility for what I did wrong and pay the bill....karma is you know what!

Good luck!

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.