cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pay minor daughter's medical debt?

tag
goodygoody
Regular Contributor

Should I pay minor daughter's medical debt?

Hi there.  My daughter turned 18 in November, but is still a senior in high school.  During her junior year, however, she was in boarding school out of state and had to go to a local acute care place for a sore throat.  I thought her insurance covered this, but apparently not - she received several bills at school LAST YEAR and didn't tell me (claims she just kept forgetting).  She had given her name and school address at the acute care, so she has been receiving the bills in her name at her school address.  She just came home for spring break and handed me one that was sent to collections.  It's only $50.  I'm just trying to figure out the best way to handle this.  Should I just send it in with payment?  Write her a PFD letter first?  If she was a minor, can this be on her credit history?  I'd hate for her to start out with a negative before she even turns 18.  At the same time, she was irresponsible not to just tell me about this in the first place.  *sigh*  I thought about calling and telling them she was a minor when this all happened, but I was afraid they'll assign the debt to me - already in collections - and it will go on my credit report.  Is this possible?  What should I do here?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I pay minor daughter's medical debt?

I would call the OC and pay them and explain the situation and tell them it's on your daughter's CR, was put there when she was a minor and have them try to get it removed.

If that won't work, PFD with the CA.

I think the only person's credit report it could go on would be the insurer - is that you or DH?  Not sure why they would do that, though, since you are paying it.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 6
goodygoody
Regular Contributor

Well, I guess I would be the insurer.  I also signed an agreement with her boarding school that I would pay any medical costs not covered by insurance.  I don't know why the school didn't make sure I got the bill in the first place.  Hmph.

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I am surprised, as the legally responsible party, that they have not already reported to your CR.

I would pay it as smoothly as possible.

After paying, I would pursue their reporting to her credit file as inappropriate, as she had no specific legal obligation for the debt.

Message 4 of 6
goodygoody
Regular Contributor

So I should try to pay the original provider?  Or should I just send in a money order with the bill my daughter gave me from the creditor?

Message 5 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@goodygoody wrote:

So I should try to pay the original provider?  Or should I just send in a money order with the bill my daughter gave me from the creditor?

In my opinion, if it isn't listed on your report, just pay the debt to the collection company that sent the dunning w/ letter requesting in exchange for payment they do not report... I have never paid a collection that wasn't reporting, and then have it report after the fact -- I know it happens, but I wouldn't stress..

and +1 to RobertEG..  she isn't responsible as a minor, it will be a pretty easy removal for the CR if it is on hers..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.