Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pay or not?

tag
dreamer2014
Regular Contributor

Should I pay or not?

Have a 4 yr old (in July) $98 medical collection that I have asked for a pfd. The answer, NO! I called 3 different times asking. It is definitely my account and I need it to clear for this VA loan we are trying to get. Part of me say, don't pay it because it is old and small so it should not be an issue but another part of me say pay it because it is so small.

The other issue is that it would take a week to get a letter stating proof of payment that I need to submit with my file for underwriting.

Myfico: 03/26/2015: EQ 652, EX 680, TU 738 Barclays

Barclays $4.7K, NFCU Platinum $15K, AMEX BCE $15k, HD $12k, Sams $3.5k, Walmart MC $3.5K, NFCU LOC 10K, GE local Furn store $3.5k, AMEX ED $10.5K
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
physicist82
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I pay or not?

When we had to get a paid in full letter for a med collection we had to fax a letter with specific wording that the ca told us and they faxed the response the next day.
Message 2 of 6
GooseGirl
Contributor

You said you needed it cleared for the loan you are attempting to get. If that's the case, then you should pay it. Luckily it is a small amount and shouldn't be too much of a burden to get it cleared up.

Starting Score: EQ 541 (lender pull July 2012)
Current Score: EQ FICO 673, TU08 648, EX FICO 654
Next Goal Score: 680
Message 3 of 6
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Who's the company? I would pay it anyway and goodwill them forever. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 6
dreamer2014
Regular Contributor

Charge this question to my fatigue at the moment but can you clarify this: and they faxed the response the next day.

Thanks for your response and help

Myfico: 03/26/2015: EQ 652, EX 680, TU 738 Barclays

Barclays $4.7K, NFCU Platinum $15K, AMEX BCE $15k, HD $12k, Sams $3.5k, Walmart MC $3.5K, NFCU LOC 10K, GE local Furn store $3.5k, AMEX ED $10.5K
Message 5 of 6
physicist82
Regular Contributor

@dreamer2014 wrote:

Charge this question to my fatigue at the moment but can you clarify this: and they faxed the response the next day.

@dreamer2014 wrote:

They sent a paid in full letter by fax. Our mortgage broker said that if we paid them and got receipts showing that we paid them then he could give us a letter to send to the bureaus requesting that they remove them from our report. We sent them and are currently waiting for the response from each bureau. He also said that if the responses from the bureaus didn't come before we get an accepted offer and have to get the final pull for closing that he could rapid rescore us and that would bring our score high enough to qualify us. He didn't rapid rescore right away because the offer we put in is on a short sale which could take awhile so he gave us a conditional pre-approval letter. He told us that he would rather us go the permanent route as opposed to rapid rescore because it will look better for us in the long run even after the mortgage is finalized. I would contact your lender and see what options they give you. Things might be different when dealing directly with one lender as opposed to working with a broker who can utilize multiple lenders. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.