cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I repay My CC with Mutual Funds??

tag
Jaynoon

Should I repay My CC with Mutual Funds??

So I'm coming back from hard times, I had to file for the big BK last year, and have since opened up a secured credit card. I was able to open it with a CD, and also started savings with Mutual Funds. 

Earlier this year, I charged about 90% of my credit card limit on the Starting up cost for my new business (WISH ME LUCK!) , and I am currently making payments to get it paid off, the cc has a APR of 9.9%. At this rate I will take around 6 months to pay it off.

I also have some mutual funds, that I was wonder if I should pay the CC completely off with. However, this will leave me with nothing in my Mutual Funds.

I am curious, what would be the smarter long term financial move. Paying it off slowly over time (even though it’s in the 90% area)? or paying it off completely using MF?

I am rebuilding credit at this point and have a 657 credit score at the moment, one year after the BK.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I repay My CC with Mutual Funds??

I would just pay it off via your current income and keep the savings in savings. Six months won't hurt anything on a secured CC. I'd imagine your transaction costs to cash in portions of the MF and unrealized losses for not growing the MF would be greater than the interest for a few months.

Message 2 of 3
Jaynoon

Re: Should I repay My CC with Mutual Funds??

So it made my credit score drop 52 points with just that one action, how long will it take for me to not only get those 52 points back, but also earn a better score? 

Basically, once I pay it off again will it go back to the old score or better? 

Still learning.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.