Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I respond to this, or let it go?

tag
mintons
Established Member

Should I respond to this, or let it go?

Hello -

So, just last night I was cheering because Transunion and Equifax removed two small state tax liens from my credit reports.  The Ohio Attorney General provide me with an expungement letter stating that the liens could be removed, they sent them to each company, and then I filed an investigation through the CFPB with the letters as well.  The other two removed, however, I got my response today from Experian that read as follows:

Thank you for submitting your complaint on December 22, 2014, through the CFPB Complaint Portal. We appreciate consumers who take the time to let us know about their experiences with our company. We have reviewed and considered the information, including the two attachments, you have supplied through the CFPB portal and directly to Experian. In your complaint, you indicate that you have two tax liens that appear on your credit report and the Ohio Attorney General sent a letter confirming that the entries can be removed from the credit reports. According to our records, the two tax liens appear as "released" just as you stated. A credit report is being mailed to your attention for review and confirmation. Please note that mailed correspondence may take up to 10 days for delivery through the US Postal system. We have reviewed the documentation you provided with your dispute, but have determined that we are not able to use it to make the changes or deletions you requested. A tax lien appearing on the credit report means that the government has filed a lien for past due taxes. The amount of the lien includes the original value of the lien. Please note that accurate information cannot be deleted. A paid tax lien will remain for seven years from the date paid. For additional assistance, you may call the toll free telephone number provided on your personal credit report obtained directly from Experian, or write to Experian at P.O. Box 9701, Allen, TX 75013. For more information regarding your credit and frequently asked questions, you may visit: http://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian . Thank you for submitting your complaint through the CFPB Complaint Portal. It is our policy to respond to consumer complaints swiftly and to take each complaint seriously. We appreciate you letting us know about your experiences with Experian.

My question is this, should I respond to their investigation responses and disputed it again?  Or should I just leave it be, and consider it a lost cause at this point?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I respond to this, or let it go?

Send EX an ITS.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Momof5 wrote:

Send EX an ITS.

+1   they are flouting the law because they think they can bully you, they are the largest CRA and violate the law every day. An expungment of a tax lien has the same force as a lien withdrawl and as such it is as if it never existed and the CRAs must delete EVEN IF YOU HAVE PAID IT.... EX cannot use your payment as a means to keep it on file....

Message 3 of 8
mintons
Established Member

HI there, thank you for your responses, I am assuming you mean an "Intend to Sue" Letter?  Had to look that up on the abreviations list! Smiley Happy  I honestly have NO CLUE what that entails and the process there.....assuming i need to get an attorney to do that for me?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, you can write the letter yourself. You should be fully prepared to either file in court yourself or have an attorney do it for you though. You can find low cost consumer attorney through NACA.

Message 5 of 8
mintons
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

No, you can write the letter yourself. You should be fully prepared to either file in court yourself or have an attorney do it for you though. You can find low cost consumer attorney through NACA.

The whole going to court thing makes me nervous, I guess because I have never been through it.  Let me ask this, should I just send them a letter as a "bluff" to see if they will do anything?  What can happen once a let the ITS fly?  Is there anything they can file on myself?  Just want to know what happens if I choose to go down that route, I know you state above that I should be prepared to file though.

Message 6 of 8
mintons
Established Member

@gdale6 wrote:

@Momof5 wrote:

Send EX an ITS.

+1   they are flouting the law because they think they can bully you, they are the largest CRA and violate the law every day. An expungment of a tax lien has the same force as a lien withdrawl and as such it is as if it never existed and the CRAs must delete EVEN IF YOU HAVE PAID IT.... EX cannot use your payment as a means to keep it on file....

Hi there, soo many questions.  So what is my basis for the suit, or threat to sue?  I guess I feel like it is my fault they are on the report, am I suing on the fact that they are saying they cant remove them, but they can indeed do so?  Having the letter from the attorney general, is that my basis, that it can be removed now?

Has anyone ever sent an ITS to the Credit Agencies, and what generally happens?

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@mintons wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@Momof5 wrote:

Send EX an ITS.

Hi there, soo many questions.  So what is my basis for the suit, or threat to sue?  I guess I feel like it is my fault they are on the report, am I suing on the fact that they are saying they cant remove them, but they can indeed do so?  Having the letter from the attorney general, is that my basis, that it can be removed now?

Has anyone ever sent an ITS to the Credit Agencies, and what generally happens?

The basis for your suit is violation of the FCRA and violation of your states law regarding expungments or withdrawls of liens.. You can Google "intent to sue credit bureau letter" and there are some examples of how to write one.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.