Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I try to get this Collection off of Credit Report

tag
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Should I try to get this Collection off of Credit Report

Hello:

I am in process of trying to clean-up my credit history.

I have a collection in the amount of $919, that was reported back in Oct of 2011 to Transunion only. This was a city water dispute from a rental 4-plex I used to own. Now it's a SS.

Transunion shows it as 'closed' and as a 'collection account' and placed for collection.

Account Status  Closed
Payment StatusCollection account
CommentsPlaced for collection

Should I contact the collection agency to see if I can work out a payment for deletion??? Has anyone had luck with this?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Should I try to get this Collection off of Credit Report

Who is reporting?

If you know who the CA is you can certainly try for a PFD.

Message 2 of 6
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I do, I have the company, address & phone number.

Just curious to know the, 'tips and tricks' to make sure if I do proceed, that I get it removed from my report and everythig checks out ok as I have never done this before.

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Write them a letter and tell them in the beginning you are not disputing the account nor asking for validation of the debt but asking if you pay them in full will they delete the account from all credit reports.

Message 4 of 6
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Would it be better to: a) send them an email or is a certified letter better?

b) shouldn't I offer a settlement of pennies to the dollar instead of paying in full?

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You don't send a PFD certified mail.  It makes it look like you are forcing them.  A PFD is actually a kind of a GW letter.

What you offer them is up to you.  The debt is still fairly new and probably within your states suing SOL.  I personally wouldn't offer too low.  Not only are you asking for a deletion but a settlement also.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.