cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should paid date report or DofLD ? CA giving me bad info ?

tag
mjccredit
Valued Member

Should paid date report or DofLD ? CA giving me bad info ?

I just called the collection agency on the one  baddie on my report which is a pif collection from a 2008 delinquency that I paid in 2011 when I first heard from the collections company on it. I just called and the first person I spoke to told me that the collection date was what reported and it would stay on my report for 10 years not 7 ? She then suggested I speak to the person who handles credit reporting for them and transferred me. I got voicemail and left a message but  I would love to know what is supposed to be reported and for how long ? I am going to ask for a goodwill removal but if that doesn't work, I at least want it back dated to the date of the delinquency.

Ex 653 Eq 699 TU 677 Jan 2014
Nov 2014 733
Goal score at least 780 across all 3
Amex platinum NPSL1/14 ,Chase Freedom $5500 1/14,Lane Bryant $250Capital one ,quicksilver $3,5001/14, TR visa $13,100. 2/14 penfed Platinum Cash Rewards $25,000, 7/14 Amex Everday Preferred $34,500, 7/14 CSP $14,000, 11/14 ink Plus $35,000
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should paid date report or DofLD ? CA giving me bad info ?

As I understand the situation, you paid a debt that was under collection, and the debt collector is now reporting their collection for the first time, after it was paid?

If so, that is rather chinsey on their part, as they no longer benefit from the reporting of a collection as incentive to pay the debt.

However, it is not technically improper.

They are reporting the facct of having had collection authority.  In theiir reporting, they would have to simultanwoudly report the open date of their collection, and also repor tthat it is closed, with a $0 amount under collection. 

Additionally, upon reporting of the collection, that triggered their requirement under FCRA 623(a)(5) to report the DOFD on the OC account to the CRA within 90 days after reporting of their collection.  Ther involvment with when their collection becomes excluded ends with their reporting of the accurate DOFD.

It is exclusively the job of the CRA to then determine when they exclude the reported collection.  They must use the reported DOFD, and must exclude no later than 7years pls 180 days from that reported DOFD.  The debt collector does not "report" exclusion, and has no part in that determination.

They are blowing smoke.  I would be concerned only that they report the accurate DOFD.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.