cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we ask for accounts to go back ON?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should we ask for accounts to go back ON?

DH had a car loan with a bank that his wife trashed.  He asked for a GW deletion and we're happy to say they honored the request.  But EQ is reporting that ALL his accounts with the bank are not deleted, not just the bad one.  The others were small personal loans (a couple hundred to $1500), and were due to drop off next year anyway, but they were all perfectly paid.

Should we count our blessings that the baddie was removed and move forward, or should we bother to ask the bank to go back report the good ones?  My inclination is that we should leave well enough alone, but we are very confused because EX and TU both have him at 745, and EQ has him at 669, we can't narrow down why the big discrepancy and I thought PERHAPS the other two are reporting the goodies and this makes a huuuuge difference.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Re: Should we ask for accounts to go back ON?

Leave it alone

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

DH had a car loan with a bank that his wife trashed. Hmm...Wouldn't that be you? LOL J/K, I knew what you meant. He asked for a GW deletion and we're happy to say they honored the request.  But EQ is reporting that ALL his accounts with the bank are not deleted, not just the bad one.  The others were small personal loans (a couple hundred to $1500), and were due to drop off next year anyway, but they were all perfectly paid.

Should we count our blessings that the baddie was removed and move forward, or should we bother to ask the bank to go back report the good ones?  My inclination is that we should leave well enough alone, but we are very confused because EX and TU both have him at 745, and EQ has him at 669, we can't narrow down why the big discrepancy and I thought PERHAPS the other two are reporting the goodies and this makes a huuuuge difference.  Have you pulled his free full reports from annualcreditreport.com ? If the majority of his stuff is through that bank, the removal of those accounts may have caused his file to look 'thin'.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heh, I knew I should have put "ex-wife", smart@$$ ;p

We pulled his annual in the middle of September, so can't do it again yet.  We have USAA's credit monitoring and he has the upgraded one where we can pull his scores every day, and have disputes in with each agencie just to try and clean up incorrect previous addresses and phone numbers that do not belong to him.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to really get our finger on the discrepancy, 70ish points is a large spread.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, this ones a tough call. If its just a case of making his file thin, then time will heal it (and it wont take long, 12-24 months) - unless you have a pressing need for credit, I'd just let everything age naturally.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the rub - we do have a pressing need for credit.  His mother will be coming to live with us due to disability and losing her home (long story), and in addition to needing a home that can better accommodate her, our landlady told us last month that her siblings are pushing to sell the house we are renting, so we need a new place.  We are in a financial position to buy, and we want the best rates we can get since we live in an expensive part of the country.  We need things to get cleaned up over the next couple of months and the 745s he has are fantastic, the 669 from Equifax is a head-scratcher.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I'm not certain but I think many lenders will go primarily by the middle score and an abnormally low score due to being thin would probably be disregarded, as long as its not low because of derogs.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.