Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shouldn't my score increase?

tag
mcharman
Valued Member

Shouldn't my score increase?

I had a collection on my account from National Recovery Agency.  When I called them, they said they no longer serviced the account and wouldn't even tell me who the OC was.  I asked them to provide this in writing, but they refused.  So, I promptly disputed the collection through the CRA.  I got notice yesterday that the results had come back and that the account would be delted from my credit report.  Very exciting!

I pulled a  new copy of my report and noticed that they had in fact been delted.  Very, very exciting!  However, my score hasn't changed at all.  Wouldn't it increase since a negative remark has been removed completely?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Shouldn't my score increase?

It depends on how old it was / what else is on your report / etc.  Where did you get your updated score from?

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 17
mcharman
Valued Member

I have a service with experian and equifax where I can pull my credit report and score as often as I want.  So I pulled the report and score this morning and saw that the account was deleted from both, but my score hadn't changed at all on either.  The colection was opened in 2008, but was last reported 8/10.  I two other collections that are showing paid in full.  I figured this would help my score.  A little bummed...

Message 3 of 17
mcharman
Valued Member

I'm sorry, I was looking t something else.  It says the account was opened 1/1/2010 and last reported 8/2010.

Message 4 of 17
mauve
Valued Contributor

I cannot speak to why your FAKO wouldn't increase.

Message 5 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

To add, it's always possible your FICOs increased. FAKO scoring from sites like Equifax or EX's freecreditreport, and others, is whacked. I've lost points when collections were removed. I'd ignore their scores.

Message 6 of 17
mcharman
Valued Member

How can I find out if it raised my FICO?  Or is that even possible?

Message 7 of 17
mauve
Valued Contributor

You can find your FICOs a few ways on your own.  One is to purchase reports from here (if you want to monitor them, SW from EQ is going to give you the most updates).  If you're purchasing things here, you can google for discount codes.

You can also go to transunionCS.com - make sure you see the FICO seal.  You can also go through equifax.com, but I believe the only one that's a FICO score is their SW product.  Again, look for the seal.

I don't think you can get a historical score, but you can find out what it is *now*. 

Also, keep in mind that the TU scores you can purchase are TU98s, which are slightly different from the TU04s that lenders use.  Equifax scores should match.

Message 8 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@mauve wrote:

You can also go to transunionCS.com - make sure you see the FICO seal

www.transunioncs.com is no more. Smiley Sad . The only place to get your TU FICO now is via myFICO or from a lender (or maybe via a CU or two somewhere as part of a service).

Message 9 of 17
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@mauve wrote:

You can find your FICOs a few ways on your own.  One is to purchase reports from here (if you want to monitor them, SW from EQ is going to give you the most updates).  If you're purchasing things here, you can google for discount codes.

You can also go to transunionCS.com - make sure you see the FICO seal.  You can also go through equifax.com, but I believe the only one that's a FICO score is their SW product.  Again, look for the seal.

I don't think you can get a historical score, but you can find out what it is *now*. 

Also, keep in mind that the TU scores you can purchase are TU98s, which are slightly different from the TU04s that lenders use.  Equifax scores should match.

Be very, very careful here. This website has changed recently and although it still has the FICO name and trademark on one of the links I couldn't find where you can still get a FICO score there. Perhaps I just didn't look hard enough. Just be very cautious before you buy any score there.

Edited to add: What llecs said!

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.