Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing myFico Gratitude - Long Post Warning

tag
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

Showing myFico Gratitude - Long Post Warning

I'm a 45 year old divorced woman. In the past my husband made all of the money and expertly handled our finances. I didn't have to worry about my financial future until I divorced a few years ago... Here's my story!

When I initally found this site in 2012 my credit score was in the mid 500s.  I had to pay a full deposit to rent my apartment (they waive with better credit) and I was paying 12% to finance my new vehicle. I had a JCP card with a $300 CL, a Sky secured with $500, and a Cap One with $300 -- no late payments.  I had a few collections and lates on my credit report and I wanted to purchase a condo.  When I went to inquire about the condo I was told I needed a 620 to apply. After reading, lurking, asking stupid questions and reading some more, I began to take steps...  I made phone calls, I wrote letters, I paid off old bills, I took out a small credit builder loan with my CU.  Soon I had a 580. Soon after that I had a 634.  The lender was astonished that I made so much progress so quickly but it was all thanks to reading this site.

I kept going.  I closed the Cap One and Skyy. I increased the JCP to $3500 and acquired two Amex cards (both backdated to 1994)! I apped for a Discover card and got that as well, in addition to a Visa with the CU and with the CU an auto refi at 1.99%! Today I was able to get a CLI (Amex) to 15K! Who knew?!  

I say all of this to say that not long ago, not long ago at all, I felt desperate, embarassed, scared, and panicked. I was angry at myself for having been so irresponsible with my credit and my money. It took a mindset change and then it was easy. Forgive yourself and face your credit fears. Look at your credit report and face the ugly. I did it and I know YOU CAN! I would have never imagined I would be sitting here with a new construction condo, a car at 1.99% finance and yes I've been saving ($10K in a money market account)!  

Stay the course... You can do it.  Thank you to myFico for such a wonderful informative site and for providing the opportunity to share information. 

Wishing you all well in 2014 and beyond.

NYBeauty

Amex Green Amex Gold Delta Rewards Discover IT CU Rewards Visa Closed on my new home 5/2013!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Showing myFico Gratitude - Long Post Warning

Congratulations on all of your progress! What a wonderful post! I assume you also were able to get your condo?

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 3 of 14
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

Congratulations on all of your progress! What a wonderful post! I assume you also were able to get your condo?

Yes! I closed at the end of May!  

Amex Green Amex Gold Delta Rewards Discover IT CU Rewards Visa Closed on my new home 5/2013!

Message 4 of 14
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@NY_Beauty wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

Yes! I closed at the end of May!  

Terrific!! Congratulations! Smiley Very Happy

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 5 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Wonderful story! Thank you for posting your accomplishments!

Message 6 of 14
alvon123
Super Contributor

Congrats on all of your credit success!

Message 7 of 14
MoreInfo1
Regular Contributor

Wow congrats on all you've accomplished! It really gives me hope!
Message 8 of 14
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

I would have never thought it possible.  I know many feel the same way and they don't have to.  You can dig out of this!  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 14
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Very inspiring.  Thanks for sharing your story!

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.