Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigh..I need to settle...

tag
AshCas
Regular Contributor

Sigh..I need to settle...

We'll be applying for a mortgage in May and although my scores are now in the low 700's - I really wanted to have all the baddies off my credit report. The only thing left is a collection from Asset Acceptance for $750. They're reporting the status as of 2/2012. I've read sometimes paying off an old collection will drop my score - but since it's basically updating every month, is there any harm in settling? They've been tacking on interest fees every month.. Would it be better to call or send a letter? All I really want is a $0 balance reported.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Sigh..I need to settle...

I would try a PFD, first.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 16
AshCas
Regular Contributor

From everything I've read, Asset doesn't PFD.
Message 3 of 16
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@AshCas wrote:
We'll be applying for a mortgage in May and although my scores are now in the low 700's - I really wanted to have all the baddies off my credit report. The only thing left is a collection from Asset Acceptance for $750. They're reporting the status as of 2/2012. I've read sometimes paying off an old collection will drop my score - but since it's basically updating every month, is there any harm in settling? They've been tacking on interest fees every month.. Would it be better to call or send a letter? All I really want is a $0 balance reported.

You will need a letter of explanation for any bad account, to explain the DOLA, however, if this account is older than one year, once you pay it to $0 balance you will have no issues qualifying for the mortgage.

Updating monthly will do nothing for your score if it is correctly listed as a collection, FICO score model does not include the DOLA on collection accounts. Paying it to 0 should not result in any score movement.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 16
AshCas
Regular Contributor

The collection is from 2008, so way over a year! Thanks for the info Scott - it helps a lot! Will I still need a letter of explanation for the bad account if it's that old? What's the best way to contact Asset?
Message 5 of 16
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@AshCas wrote:
The collection is from 2008, so way over a year! Thanks for the info Scott - it helps a lot! Will I still need a letter of explanation for the bad account if it's that old? What's the best way to contact Asset?

The letter of explanation is something YOU create, not the creditor.. your loan officer will explain it when you actually apply, but essentially its just a simple letter explaining what it is, why the account went into collections, when you paid and what you are doing in the future to avoid these kinds of situations.. 

Every negative entry, no matter how old, will require this.. I preapproved with a score 722, with 4 paid negative items, all from 2008!

good luck!

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 6 of 16
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Asset Acceptance accepted my PFD offer.... lol

Might be a little old fashioned but i sent them a money order for what i owed (like 95$) and on the bottom i wrote, By cashing this money order, you accept to delete this trade lines from all 3 major credit reporting agencies...

not bu 3 or 4 days later, i get a piece of mail saying they have removed from the CRA lol.....

*Take photo copies of everything you send them. 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 7 of 16
AshCas
Regular Contributor

Really?! This is the first I've heard of them accepting one!! When did you send them the money order?
Message 8 of 16
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Like 1 1/2 years ago? let me see if i have their contact info still. 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 9 of 16
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Nope, no contact info here at work, sorry!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.