Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow/Better Rebuilding Strategy?

tag
comebackkid15
Regular Contributor

Slow/Better Rebuilding Strategy?

Having a VERY hard time rebuilding credit here:

Back in Jan this year, I finally "unlocked" my 3 CR (did it for security reasons 3-4 years ago. Pretty much all good & bad reports were dropped, in effect leaing me with a clean slate.

Not a good thing. Clean Slate means no history, so I started to apply to reestablish history. My only criteria was to avoid using secured cards, or taking out any loans.

Jan 2015 my Score via TU & Experian was roughly in the 500's (EX reported high number 569).

Started in Jan 2015, I applied on average to 2-4 times per week. With the exception of Capitol One (3x) & Best Buy (2x - SP on both) I only applied once.

All applications were done online. Except for 1 time with Best Buy in-store, and I was told by clerk I was accepted! But I still received a decline letter from company...Smiley Frustrated

After about THREE tries with Capitol One, I was approved for a Cap One unsecured MC for $300...funny thing is i applied first for the secured card, but using the "Find the Right Card" tool, it bumped me to the Unsecured card, same rate, same CL. Fine by me!

I tried several store cards, Khols, Macys, Sportsmans Guide, Sears, Pep Boys, Firestone, Barclays, Amazon & Best Buy. Either I appled for the unsecured CC or just for the store card itself. ALL of them turned me down.

I was able to open a Wells Fargo Bank Account (Checking) for Direct Deposit/Small Savings attempt...lol

Last place I tried was Fingerhut, I was approved for the Fresh Start program with CL of $180. Better and better!

Recently, I was approved for a Roadloans Auto loan, but I probably won't use it becuase the downpayment is so damn much.

Now here comes the negatives (of course).

I missed making payments on the Fingerhut account  (2 payments), its showing on my CK score as 30-90 days; I've been out of work for past 3-4 months and honestly couldn't make the payments, financially wasn't the highest priority. I caught up with them now, and have another 1-2 months before payoff ($111)

I am showing a tax lien from NYS on my TU report from 2006, filed in Brooklyn - Even though, I never LIVED in Brooklyn. I did live in a different part of NYC, and filed for there, but not in Brooklyn. WTH? Dispute letter filed already via TU!

Because I wasn't working, the Wells Fargo account got closed.

But, some Positives as well!

After 9 months, my CR from TU & CK show on-time payments with Capitol One, so I applied and received an CLI from $300 to $400!. Not great, sure but its something!

SUMMARY. As of Nov, my TU 519, CK 300 (?).

I am caught up with the Capitol 1 account: even though I tend to max it out some months, I try not to carry a balance month past the monthly due date, and pay it off immediatly.

Also caught up with the Fingerhut account - still have 1-2 payment to go before ending the Fresh Start program.

Well Fargo account will be reopened soonest. Having a traditional "Brick & Mortar" institution for banking is still a need, even though "Virtual Banking" has been around for awhile (I like doing a lot of things online more) !

Now for my QUESTIONS to raise my score (if possible)

1 - Should I try to negotiate with Capitol 1 to get a 2nd increase NOW, or wait until the one year mark next year?

2 - Is it worth trying again to apply for Store CC like Kohls, Best Buy, etc? Not looking for a lot of them, maybe one or two to help establish credit history....and which card(s) can I get with my score?

3 - Should I invest in a secured card?

4 - Auto Loan - I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to avoid them; I HATE the idea of making monthly payments, I prefer to own my cars outright! But would it raise my score significantly? My instinct & research says not really...what say you?

GOALS

I am not looking to have a wallet FULL of credit cards, but I WOULD like to have at least 1-2 with a "Decent" unsecured CL. They don't have to be fancy Amex Double Titaniuam-Ruby Encrusted with a .00052% interest rate, when a Visa/MC with a similar CL works just as well!

If anything, the only "perks" I would like it to have are something like Gas rewards, Airline miles or similar!

Sorry to be so long-winded, But I wanted to be clear on my situation as it stands. I promise my replies will be MUCH more brief in the future....! Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Slow/Better Rebuilding Strategy?

A request for CLI at CapOne is a soft pull - go ahead and try - if you don't get anything - wait until after your next statement cuts and try again.  

Over applying (2-3 times a week) shouldn't be done - all you are doing is running up Hard Pull inquiries on your reports - too many inquiries looks bad to creditors.  Find something you really want - that you should be qualified for - and then apply.   If you have one CapOne account there is a chance you can get a second.   If you have QS1 - try Platinum, or visa versa.

A secured loan wouldn't be a bad idea since you want to stay away from Auto loans.   You need that installment loan in your mix. 

Store cards - unless it's a store you shop at and can use the associated discounts - aren't always the way to go.   You end up with several cards with low (toy) limits on them that just sit there.   You are better off taking the slow and steady approach and getting a couple (ideally 3) decent cards and letting them grow over time.   CLIs are possible in just a few months - if you pay on time and run plenty of charges through them.   I use mine like my old debit card - and just pay it off every payday. 

good luck

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want to comment on the FreshStart Account.... I don't want to bring the bad news, but I need to prepare you for what is about to happen. Although you are caught up on your account now, having missed the payments, you're now in a conundrum. Fingerhut will let you complete the program, as it is in their best interest. The account, once completely paid, will be reviewed, as normal. The thing is, when this review is conducted, manually, by humans, as is done every time, your late payments will be seen. With the Freshstart program, you CAN NOT have any missed or late payments. So, you will be notified that you have to complete the program again. This will NOT negatively affect your credit, because your reports will report 'paid in full', or something along those lines, not sure if it will say 'paid as agreed', which, technically, it was not. But you WILL NOT lose point for NOT paying, because you DID pay. Only thing that will suck, is that you will NOT graduate to an Advantage Account. Also, should you decide to try the program again, which they will allow, you will suffer ANOTHER hard pull, and any boost you receive once you start, will not be as big as the initial one. 

I'll leave the other things to other members of the community.... #GoodLuck 

Message 3 of 13
comebackkid15
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A request for CLI at CapOne is a soft pull - go ahead and try - if you don't get anything - wait until after your next statement cuts and try again.  

Over applying (2-3 times a week) shouldn't be done - all you are doing is running up Hard Pull inquiries on your reports - too many inquiries looks bad to creditors.  Find something you really want - that you should be qualified for - and then apply.   If you have one CapOne account there is a chance you can get a second.   If you have QS1 - try Platinum, or visa versa.

A secured loan wouldn't be a bad idea since you want to stay away from Auto loans.   You need that installment loan in your mix. 

Store cards - unless it's a store you shop at and can use the associated discounts - aren't always the way to go.   You end up with several cards with low (toy) limits on them that just sit there.   You are better off taking the slow and steady approach and getting a couple (ideally 3) decent cards and letting them grow over time.   CLIs are possible in just a few months - if you pay on time and run plenty of charges through them.   I use mine like my old debit card - and just pay it off every payday. 

good luck

Well, as far as the Cap 1 card goes...I did apply and got the CLI...I went from a $300 to a $400 - I did apply for the Quicksilver One at same time I did the CLI,  but got the "Review 7-10 Day" notice.

QUESTION, should I wait till I get the letter or call CS now to see if they'd reconsider?

Really, I waited from early in the year till now to reapply for any account: so I've been keeping the HP to a bare minimum!

I dont mind doing a secured card...some good ones offered from CU, but Wells Fargo has one as well...and since I use WF as my Checking/D.,Deposit account, might as well go with them...unless you can recommend someone better!

OTOH, an Auto loan would suffice, except they either want A) High deposit (2-$3k) OR B) only for cars worth $6k or more! Thats alot of money to tie up in something that depriciates significantly after 3 years or so.

Finally - Store cards I don't mind...if anything the only ones that I would see regular use (and payoff promptly) would be Kohls, , Macys and Best Buy...and 2 out of those 3 would suit me just fine. Except all 3 are dang hard to get.

I don't mind waiting if i have to...I have the paitence (somewhat) but anything to shortcut the process some I dont mind doing either! LOL

Message 4 of 13
comebackkid15
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just want to comment on the FreshStart Account.... I don't want to bring the bad news, but I need to prepare you for what is about to happen. Although you are caught up on your account now, having missed the payments, you're now in a conundrum. Fingerhut will let you complete the program, as it is in their best interest. The account, once completely paid, will be reviewed, as normal. The thing is, when this review is conducted, manually, by humans, as is done every time, your late payments will be seen. With the Freshstart program, you CAN NOT have any missed or late payments. So, you will be notified that you have to complete the program again. This will NOT negatively affect your credit, because your reports will report 'paid in full', or something along those lines, not sure if it will say 'paid as agreed', which, technically, it was not. But you WILL NOT lose point for NOT paying, because you DID pay. Only thing that will suck, is that you will NOT graduate to an Advantage Account. Also, should you decide to try the program again, which they will allow, you will suffer ANOTHER hard pull, and any boost you receive once you start, will not be as big as the initial one. 

I'll leave the other things to other members of the community.... #GoodLuck 

Thank you so much for the information: The main reason for doing the FS program was to get some positive notes on my CR. I really only used it for the BARE amount. Once its paid off, I'm in no rush to restart the program.
Or should I be? If i do restart it again, is it worthwhile to my credit score? Or can I just keep whatever limit they give me and call it a day? I'll keep the account open so I won't get dinged by closing something already reported. But as I said, it's not like they're offering anything that I HAVE to buy over time.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband got the 7-10 day message ftom Cap1 and went on chat to see if they needed verification or anything. Was told he was approved for both QS1 and Platinum, $500 limit each. So go ahead and call them or go on chat and see. You might be surprised
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@comebackkid15 wrote:

Having a VERY hard time rebuilding credit here:

Back in Jan this year, I finally "unlocked" my 3 CR (did it for security reasons 3-4 years ago. Pretty much all good & bad reports were dropped, in effect leaing me with a clean slate.

Not a good thing. Clean Slate means no history, so I started to apply to reestablish history. My only criteria was to avoid using secured cards, or taking out any loans.

Jan 2015 my Score via TU & Experian was roughly in the 500's (EX reported high number 569).

Started in Jan 2015, I applied on average to 2-4 times per week. With the exception of Capitol One (3x) & Best Buy (2x - SP on both) I only applied once.

All applications were done online. Except for 1 time with Best Buy in-store, and I was told by clerk I was accepted! But I still received a decline letter from company...Smiley Frustrated

After about THREE tries with Capitol One, I was approved for a Cap One unsecured MC for $300...funny thing is i applied first for the secured card, but using the "Find the Right Card" tool, it bumped me to the Unsecured card, same rate, same CL. Fine by me!

I tried several store cards, Khols, Macys, Sportsmans Guide, Sears, Pep Boys, Firestone, Barclays, Amazon & Best Buy. Either I appled for the unsecured CC or just for the store card itself. ALL of them turned me down.

I was able to open a Wells Fargo Bank Account (Checking) for Direct Deposit/Small Savings attempt...lol

Last place I tried was Fingerhut, I was approved for the Fresh Start program with CL of $180. Better and better!

Recently, I was approved for a Roadloans Auto loan, but I probably won't use it becuase the downpayment is so damn much.

Now here comes the negatives (of course).

I missed making payments on the Fingerhut account  (2 payments), its showing on my CK score as 30-90 days; I've been out of work for past 3-4 months and honestly couldn't make the payments, financially wasn't the highest priority. I caught up with them now, and have another 1-2 months before payoff ($111)

I am showing a tax lien from NYS on my TU report from 2006, filed in Brooklyn - Even though, I never LIVED in Brooklyn. I did live in a different part of NYC, and filed for there, but not in Brooklyn. WTH? Dispute letter filed already via TU!

Because I wasn't working, the Wells Fargo account got closed.

But, some Positives as well!

After 9 months, my CR from TU & CK show on-time payments with Capitol One, so I applied and received an CLI from $300 to $400!. Not great, sure but its something!

SUMMARY. As of Nov, my TU 519, CK 300 (?).

I am caught up with the Capitol 1 account: even though I tend to max it out some months, I try not to carry a balance month past the monthly due date, and pay it off immediatly. Try to pay it down BEFORE the statement closing date. Letting it report a high closing balance will sink your scores - pay it to 30% or less.

Also caught up with the Fingerhut account - still have 1-2 payment to go before ending the Fresh Start program.

Well Fargo account will be reopened soonest. Having a traditional "Brick & Mortar" institution for banking is still a need, even though "Virtual Banking" has been around for awhile (I like doing a lot of things online more) !

Now for my QUESTIONS to raise my score (if possible)

1 - Should I try to negotiate with Capitol 1 to get a 2nd increase NOW, or wait until the one year mark next year? There is no "negotiating". Request it online as often as you like, it won't hurt your scores. They will give CLI's every 6 months.

2 - Is it worth trying again to apply for Store CC like Kohls, Best Buy, etc? Not looking for a lot of them, maybe one or two to help establish credit history....and which card(s) can I get with my score? Not a fan of store cards.

3 - Should I invest in a secured card? Absolutely. I would suggest SDFCU - you can get both a secured personal loan AND a secured credit card for the same $500 bucks.

4 - Auto Loan - I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to avoid them; I HATE the idea of making monthly payments, I prefer to own my cars outright! But would it raise my score significantly? My instinct & research says not really...what say you? Only do it if you NEED to. Do NOT do it simply for scoring reasons. You only need one installment loan for scoring so see point 3 above.

GOALS

I am not looking to have a wallet FULL of credit cards, but I WOULD like to have at least 1-2 with a "Decent" unsecured CL. They don't have to be fancy Amex Double Titaniuam-Ruby Encrusted with a .00052% interest rate, when a Visa/MC with a similar CL works just as well!  I would suggest applying for a second Capital One card. Also go online and do an online chat - ask if your card can be upgraded to reward status.

If anything, the only "perks" I would like it to have are something like Gas rewards, Airline miles or similar!

Sorry to be so long-winded, But I wanted to be clear on my situation as it stands. I promise my replies will be MUCH more brief in the future....! Smiley Very Happy

Are you more stable now, employment-wise?

Message 7 of 13
comebackkid15
Regular Contributor

Are you more stable now, employment-wise?

Yes. I am working - Stability in this job market OTOH, is not as gaurnteed as it used to be. LOL

For now, I can say I bring home at least $1500 a month, more with OT, so my yearly income should show to be okay.

Message 8 of 13
comebackkid15
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My husband got the 7-10 day message ftom Cap1 and went on chat to see if they needed verification or anything. Was told he was approved for both QS1 and Platinum, $500 limit each. So go ahead and call them or go on chat and see. You might be surprised

Thats what I figured too...I will give them a call Friday morning, and see what they can do.

Like I said, I don't expect them to throw a $5k limit at me (but they could!), but even a matching CL or a combined between the two for $1k wouldl be a VERY nice "Emergency" reserve I can tap when things are REALLY bad.

Other than that, I usually use cards for online/gas/car purchases and then pay them off a week or two before due date. 

Haven't even got a Garden yet..LOL...it's more like Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree!

Message 9 of 13
comebackkid15
Regular Contributor

So, just as a follow-up to see if Capitol One would reconsider denying me for a Quicksilver/QS1 account.

Spoke to agent, explained that I applied via the "Choose the Right Card" tool but was declined....after talking with someone, I was told if i reapplied again after 12/20 I would probably be accepted then.

Sounded good to me. IF I get the card, sweet. At the very least I double my standing CL and good, open account on my CR.

If I still don't, well I still have time to get a secured CC. I will take that route, and hold off on applying for new accounts until next summer.

Toil, Toil....Toiling away....

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.