Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Medical Collection Amount does it show on Credit Report

tag
LShan82
Regular Contributor

Small Medical Collection Amount does it show on Credit Report

HI, 

I am disputing a bill with my dentist and they are sending it to collections.  I thought I read that the rules changed that medical collections under a certain amount will not appear on credit report?  Is this true or did I misinterrupt something?  

Current Scores 11/2016:Equifax 8: 688 TransU 8: 675 Xperian 8: 674 Cards: Penfed Promise Visa Barclay Reward MasterCard American Express Blue Cash Rewards Nordstrom
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Small Medical Collection Amount does it show on Credit Report

@LShan82 wrote:

HI, 

I am disputing a bill with my dentist and they are sending it to collections.  I thought I read that the rules changed that medical collections under a certain amount will not appear on credit report?  Is this true or did I misinterrupt something?  

They still show but Fico 8 versions discount any collection that is less than 100 and the Fico 9 I do believe discounts any medical collections. I would settle it before it moves to collections.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 6
LShan82
Regular Contributor

I'm being obstinate but it's a $25 fee.  I don't feel like I should have to pay it, and can't believe they are threatening me over $25.  But do I want to be stubborn to be right and have future headaches? OR just pay the fee and be done with them all together. 

Current Scores 11/2016:Equifax 8: 688 TransU 8: 675 Xperian 8: 674 Cards: Penfed Promise Visa Barclay Reward MasterCard American Express Blue Cash Rewards Nordstrom
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as collections go $25.00 is as bad as $2500.00 when it comes to your FICO score better to pay $25.00 now than have it damage your credit for seven years.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^ yep. I had a few collections. Even one for 5.65. I had about a total of 7 all less than 100. Like tel12 said. Even the 5.65 one hurt just as bad as if it were 1,000,000 dollar collection.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LShan82 wrote:

HI, 

It will appear on your report, but will not be a scoring factor in FICO 8, if under $100 -  BUT it will most certainly drag down your mortgage scores, as the older models treat ALL collections equally. Your call.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.